FT: Frame (Twin) Opening Oil Tank.

Garth Robinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And here's my version. The thing to watch out for is clearance on the underside of the petrol tank. Cheers, Stu

Stu, that looks like something I might be able to manage.Have you used an o ring under it ,or just gasket cement.A leak there could be messy! Apart from the small nuts and kero,I used vinegar(recommended on the metalwork forum I visit) also some pretty vile solvents we use in the printing trade.After using these methods I heated the tank with the hot air gun to drive out any moisture.I inserted a long screwdriver through the filler,and was still was able to scrape crud off the bottom of the tank.Maybe I worry too much,the oil still has to go through the filter before it gets to the bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Garth, I fixed the cover to the base ring with the screws which don't go any deeper. I tacked the base ring to the tank, after cutting the hole, removed the cover and ran a bead of weld, joining the base ring to the tank, round the inside of the hole. The screws do not go through the tank. I used a thick paper gasket and Wellseal to seal it. Cheers, Stu.

sharkey

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a tidy fitting in the top of my UFM as in the photo. Probably not a Conway manhole. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is or its use before I try to take it apart?
Thanks
1596917595811.png

timetraveller

VOC Member
It looks to me as though someone has made their own version of the manhole but made it iarger and possibly stronger. Is it steel or Ali? Undoing all those screws would probably release it but it might the fall into the tank if it is steel then a magnet would hold or retrieve it. If Ali then be prepared to do some fishing. I imagine it would require some patience to find at least two of the holes to get the screws started.