FT: Frame (Twin) Opening Oil Tank.

Garth Robinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have an oil tank which has not been used for 50 odd years.It has been stored without the filler cap and it seems that a small rodent or lizard has crawled inside to die. I have tried the usual methods of small nuts and shaking with kerosene and diesel,but it looks as though I am going to have to open the tank to get the crud and rust removed.My question is,Where is the best place to cut the tank open to gain the best access to clean it.I realize that there are internal pipes which I don't want to damage,so I am reluctant to attack it with a jig saw in case I hit something vital.A sketch of where to cut would be ideal.I am sure this has been done before.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Or put a rodent dilluter in...
Like acid?

But than you might pay your respects to the rodent, make a conways manhole in it.
It could have been a male rodent.

But i would try to solve.
And check with camera on a wire.

vibrac

VOC Member
I saw a position drawing of a UFM internals recently (on here?) they did contain some surprisingly complex pipework I would caution that some of the new UFMs now available may not have been manufactured to the original drawings.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Being a careful Yorkshireman I designed my own and got a local chum to make some in exchange for the design. The centre is 4 inches up from the bottom edge of the top of the oil tank. The diameter is 2 inches. The thread is the same as the tappet and valve spring inspection caps. The slot in the top takes the edge of either a K1 or K3 spanner. An 'o' ring in a groove acts as a seal. The outer, flanged 'container' is steel and will distort if you weld it. If it does then you will have to re-tap it after fitting. One was silver soldered and another chum, who copied the design, modified it so that the flange on the container was much larger, flattened at the side to match the width of the oil tank and then held on with epoxy and four screws. I did two for myself and the first chum fitted one for himself. In all cases the pipe work inside the tank was different varying from the pipes being near to the floor of the tank or being right up against the top so when and if you cut the hole take care not to go too far down into the tank.
1594458525819.png

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
I have an oil tank which has not been used for 50 odd years.It has been stored without the filler cap and it seems that a small rodent or lizard has crawled inside to die. I have tried the usual methods of small nuts and shaking with kerosene and diesel,but it looks as though I am going to have to open the tank to get the crud and rust removed.My question is,Where is the best place to cut the tank open to gain the best access to clean it.I realize that there are internal pipes which I don't want to damage,so I am reluctant to attack it with a jig saw in case I hit something vital.A sketch of where to cut would be ideal.I am sure this has been done before.
You need a high pressure jet washer take all the pipe work out and blast away. the tank is of course desighned to trap any crud that is in there like large idler alloy powder and carbon sludge. alternatively full it with caustic cleaner after bunging up all the holes and heat it up to a good boil this should do the trick . have cleaned outy several this way.

Albervin

VOC Member
Just remember that liquid caustic soda + OIL = soap. Add some heat and then flush. Repeat. The moment you cut the UFM you open a can of worms. Bear in mind that the caustic soda can generate some serious heat by itself. There are very strict protocols making a solution and eye protection is at the top! I have used caustic soda mixtures to remove oil stains on concrete and if you don't have a bucket of water handy you can end up with a deep hole.