Open D question

champion

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This method of fastening the seat is a modification, and it does hold the seat from moving side to side. This is easily achieved if the actual seat clips are made from a 'springy' stainles steal. The seat clips down with a reassuring 'Click' and it takes a reasonable amount of force to open it.

The bolts holding the seat clips are screwed into two nuts which I welded to the inside of the seat base. It does work well and apart from the small hole drilled to recieve the screw holding the s/s sleave, it looks standard.

If you like the idea, it would be really easy to modify it and refine it.

champ

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The original 'Clip, Saddle' FT304 is listed but not illustrated in the D list. I saw an unused original some time ago, a 5/8" wide, 16 SWG (0.064") strip, with a 17/64" dia. fixing hole, with a swan neck at the end; the concave portion of this matches the radius of the sub-frame tube. It looked like mild steel to me and that apparently was the problem, it was not spring steel; they had to be adjusted to firmly locate things, which took off the enamel in no time and then led to fracturing.
The hinge is not robust and is not up to providing lateral support, it could be dangerous if you rely only on the hinge.
Some ideas: some seat pan mounted Terry clips (spring steel clips used for hanging tools up) could maybe suit a pair each side, or welding a rod to each rear oil tank / tool box brackets and using seat pan mounted rubber grommets to engage with them might do the trick.

Hope this helps, Frank