H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Open D front mudguards

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would like to lower my open series D front mudguard having fitted Avon Road Riders. I've never liked the gap between the front guard and tyre. The front stays will need to be modified or changed so after looking at WhitakerPedia, I had a go at forming stay ends, the result shown is shown in the attached pics. I would appreciate advice on other aspects of this mod from anyone who has done it.
Regards Mac

Attachments

• 20190910_094838.jpg
    20190910_094838.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190910_094653.jpg
    20190910_094653.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 32

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
All Vincents are capable of being fitted with 21" tyres look better and handle better, in process of fitting 21" tyre to my "A" Rapide rear wheel as it was fitted with 20" rear for racing before we had it. saves making shortened stays , also curvature will be wrong as close to tyre in centre yet away from tyre at ends !
bananaman.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have just fitted a pair of tubes, To lower the guard on my "C" Comet, And don't fit a front stay,
And fitted a s/s rear lower stay from a Norton Commando from Fecked, It fits inside the guard,
I like it, But there are a lot of different shaped guards ?. Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20190811_164509 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190811_164509 (2).jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 61

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I would like to lower my open series D front mudguard having fitted Avon Road Riders. I've never liked the gap between the front guard and tyre. The front stays will need to be modified or changed so after looking at WhitakerPedia, I had a go at forming stay ends, the result shown is shown in the attached pics. I would appreciate advice on other aspects of this mod from anyone who has done it.
Regards Mac
Mac,
I think you've done a very nice job on your new stays.
You can change the radius of the mudguard if you use a couple of decent bits of wood pivoted at a convenient length from the ends so that you can apply pressure on the inside lips of the mudguard.
I think there are a few videos on YouTube that would explain it far better than I have.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is the best I have ever done , With 19" wheels, Like a lot of us, It has driven me mad, But never got round to doing a proper job. Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_150557 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190727_150557 (2).jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 37