only two gears out of five...help!

Mark Fisher

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just recently got my tpv/egli back after an engine re-build an it sounds way better than it ever did before, however, my 5 speed box now only seems to have two gears (4th and 5th). The box worked fine before the re-build but had to come out in order to clean everything and replace the "door" which had been abused. Could it be that the bevels are wrongly assembled...I hope not.
thanks
mark

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Gears

It is easy enough to not have the bevel right. Is the 5 speed the same as standard with the adjustments under the kickstart cover? Do you have a battery platform G80 nut adjustment as standard? All these should be checked, starting with the easiest first.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Clarification

G'day Mark,
Start with the gear indicator lever, can you select six indexed positions, eg 1n2 3 4 5 with the gear indicator lever?.
If no then the problem is inside the box itself, either the bevels are incorrectly timed or something is preventing the cam plate turning.
If yes, do you get five gears and a neutral?. If yes then the problem is in the gear selector mechanism under the change cover. Remove the cover and manipulate G66/AS. This should operate G49 to engage a different notch of G43 for each gear.
If you can select six positions with the gear indicator lever but get four neutrals (rear wheel/sprocket free wheels) and two gears (rear wheel/sprocket locks up), then the problem is under the cam plate. :confused: The gear wheels would have to be missing for this one.
Try those and if your still lost, get back to me.

Phelps.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the help. I tried manipulating the indicator shaft but could only get two gears and a (probably false) neutral in between, I even tried riding down the street, but to no avail. I will try looseninig the G50 nut later, if only to take it out of the equation. If it is the bevls, I am looking at a total stripdown right?
mark
icon9.gif

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Gear Selection

G'day Mark,
It certainly is all pointing to the problem being in the box itself. It is possible to remove the generator and then the cam plate spindle and very carefully pry the cam plate over to the left and reposition the gear indicator shaft. Most times the cam plate is too close to the gearbox cover plate indexing boss and the cam plate can't be shifted over enough to disengage it from the bevel gear.
You don't need to split the engine or even remove it from the frame. You will need to remove the clutch, Primary Drive and then the gearbox cover plate. The cam plate spindle can stay in place, just withdraw the clutch shaft and lay shaft. Its a bit of a juggle and all will seem lost as it all drops all over the place but its no great problem.

Phelps.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, I think we are getting somewhere. How do I pry the camplate though...through which orifice? I has to be worth a try.
mark

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Gear Box Probing

Down through the cam plate spindle hole. You will need to make up a couple of curved foot pry bars from 3/16" round. Or go and get a couple of thin screw drivers from the cheap shop and heat and bend them. If you loose the location of the plate then you will have to get into the box. Its fiddly but nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

Phelps.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have never tried to rotate the camplate/bevel drive from outside the box, but it seems to me that if you can - all is not well. The primary drive comes apart relatively easily in the frame. If it were me primary drive and then the G2 plate would be off, the gearbox out and things made right. It is a bit of a fiddle but not difficult to reassemble the gears through the G2 with the Cam spindle in place. Removing the cam spindle and having a chance of it not being fully secure on reassembly leading to possible serious problems seems the greater of two possible disaters.

Good luck, from a guy that locked up a box on the Motorway having just passed the ton in 3rd and slipped it into 4th and shut off the throttle - about 95 when it locked. New Surtees (Quaife) 5 speed, clean knickers, new back tire, back on the road again.

Robert