One For The Money, Two For The Show

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That's a long read Graham !, Only got to part 3, But interesting, At the time they were in MPH, I didn't have time Plus the small print, But better now on Computer, Thanks Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Damn, I could have been building a 750cc,
Although I thought I had read any stroke over 102 ish, Ment that the piston speed would be too high ?,
At about 6000 rev's ?.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Piston speed at 115 mm stroke would be a concern for sure, but only if higher revs were planned.
With the Mk1 cams there would be no point in revving past 5500, so maybe it all adds up.
That project sure took over his life! It sounds like Derek Chinn donated a lot of time and energy to it as well.

I wonder who Mr. E is and if he is still operating?

Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I haven't Used Mk1 cams since 1970 !, They were in my outfit in 1967 and completely wore away !,
I kept putting bigger and bigger main jets in the carb's, To make it go faster,
Then found when adjusting the tappets, the valves were not opening !.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have Mk1 s with small carbs and 8 to one on the bike I ride most. Somehow it goes a bit better than the ported high compression Rapide with the big carbs, even for top speed.

But these Mk1s do open the valves!

Derek Chinn had lots of experience and knowledge with a big capacity supercharged engine, so maybe MK1s work best with that setup?

Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have never had the time or money to do back to back tests,
And found Mk2 s have worked well for me, And also are fine for the road.
So for once, I have done what the factory said for there racing.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I heard that Brian Chapman gave Max Lambky cam grind specs for supercharged motors, so I assume it was a custom grind different than any of the factory grinds.