Once in a lifetime Vincent find.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With at least five sets of c/cases, makes me wonder what happened to the cranks,gears,clutches?. There must be a shed load of it.
Emmerich reportedly had 36 engines, most of them disassembled. The parts were mostly on shelves, but the basement was flooded in 1987 and who knows what was done after that.

davidd

VOC Member
I don't know that this was truly George's bike. It would be nice to have some documentation. I believed that the bike had been taken apart because that was his habit. It is fantastic that the bike exists and is so well preserved.

EV5 was very fast. It was tested in the Cycle Sport test and did a top speed of 132 mph with a 0-60 time of 4.3. That was pretty good for 1969.

David

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
I don't know that this was truly George's bike. It would be nice to have some documentation. I believed that the bike had been taken apart because that was his habit. It is fantastic that the bike exists and is so well preserved.

EV5 was very fast. It was tested in the Cycle Sport test and did a top speed of 132 mph with a 0-60 time of 4.3. That was pretty good for 1969.

David

Can confirm that it’s his bike.

davidd

VOC Member
Can confirm that it’s his bike.

Thanks, I am short on the documentation side. I am better on the oral history.

I checked with Carleton Palmer, who told me the story years ago. The bike was advertised for sale in Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY. Carleton headed over to buy the bike and as he was pulling into the drive he saw Nick Pierce's van. Nick was pushing the Egli into the back. Carleton looked over the bike and it was Sal Defeo's bike from Ghost Motors. Sal had sold the bike to the gent in Mt Sinai and now the gent was selling it to Nick. This was probably early 1981.

According to Carleton, Nick took the bike to the National rally at Nelson Ledges in 1981. While there, he sold it to George Emmerich. Carleton thought it had been taken apart because it never surfaced over the years.

David