OLD VINCENT PHOTOS ETC

Jerry161

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Personal Details Section contains the following statement:

"Furthermore, we are often contacted by previous owners of Vincent machines, who are keen to pass on old photographs/log books/tax discs etc. It is a sad fact that we are often unable to do this as we don't know the current owners of all Vincent/H.R.D. machines.
Please help us to help you!"

That policy seems a short sighted waste of an opportunity, leading to irreplaceable old photos etc being just scrapped.

Would it not be better for the club to accept and store the offered material?
It is quite likely that eventually the club will become aware of the new owners, and could then offer ( for a fee?) the old photos etc.

Storage could be part of the Machine Registrar responsibility, delegated to A.N.Other.

No doubt the "can't be done" school will come up with many excuses for doing nothing.

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You may well be right but the way to know for sure would be if we stuck all club related stuff on the members only forums. I take in to be a member of the forum who isn't recognised as a club member. I suspect that the forum lists them as guests.

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Ian, my first post had two aims. 1. Yes it's a good idea. 2. I thought the original post was critical of a club (and members) run by volunteers, while the majority (me included) sit back and reap the benefits - I think Vibrac saw my intention there.

Martyn, you seem keen and I think you'd do a great job.

H

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian, my first post had two aims. 1. Yes it's a good idea. 2. I thought the original post was critical of a club (and members) run by volunteers, while the majority (me included) sit back and reap the benefits - I think Vibrac saw my intention there.

Martyn, you seem keen and I think you'd do a great job.

H
So - just how do we get this "off the ground"?

Howard

VOC Member
Martyn,

I think you need to get it accepted by the Committee. Any thoughts Graham?

Why stop at newly found photos, why not start with a list of all bikes made, and get current owners to send photos, lets see if we can get a handle on just how many still exist.

The only problem I can see, if someone is happy take on the task, is paranoia (may be too harsh a word) from owners who don't want outsiders to know, and there may be some concern about ownership of the data if it was ever published.

I'm happy to give you a hand if necessary.

H