Old spark plug wire

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here are spark plug leads off the Shadow my father bought new. They lasted about 50 years, and I stopped using them when I fitted a BTH.

Spark1.JPGSpark2.JPG
Spark3.JPGSpark4.JPG

Colin

VOC Member
Hi Steve
They don't make things like they used to. Only 50 years it will not do. Some of the bulbs on my 1938 "A" Meteor are still working, but the battery is not. I recently wrote to HRD about the short life (83/84 years) of the battery, but I've not had a reply, yet.
Seems you can't get the staff either. Apart from that the bike has done quite well, but I think I will have to change the front tyre shortly.. Good job the bike is worth a bit more than I paid for it!

CarlHungness

VOC Member
The only problem I've ever had with the spark plug wires on my Shadow is
when I rebuilt the top end, went for my first ride, and she went on one cylinder going up a steep hill.
Further inspection showed the wire had been touching a cylinder fin and shorted out. It was one of those "Whew!" moments as I thought I had fouled
something up in the rebuild.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I think silicon covered copper wire would last as that is what I'm using now on most bikes, as it doesn't melt against a cylinder muff and stays much more flexible.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
If you fit the H.T. leads (26 1/2" and 28 1/2" for memory) as shown in "Richardson", fig. 31, and clipped correctly to the return oil line they will never short out on any hot bits. No need to ask me how I know!

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I bet any replacements from anywhere wont. Whatever they have added to rubber in the last 20 years has made it crack and drop black carbon at every turn. From Trials saddles to rubber clips all the same a short and dirty life
The John Bull kickstart rubber is still going strong, coming up on seventy years. I have a John Bull spark plug holder, and it is still in nice condition too. I think they are natural rubber. Synthetic rubber was not an improvement in durability.