Old Ads

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The lower picture same as the one on page 102 of David Wright's book "Vincent HRD Motorcycles, how they were promoted and sold" bears number plate DUR 99. These from an advert from November the 9th 1944. The picture above is not clear enough to see the plate easily............... :)
It's clear with my loupe' over the ad, it is DUR99.:)

A_HRD

VOC Member
It's clear with my loupe' over the ad, it is DUR99.:)

Great! So it's an uprated A Rapide from the first half of production. Apart from the alloy guards and blades (TTR style), it also appears to have TT Bramptons and the much coveted Composite Brakes - on the front at least.

It was road-tested by 'The Motorcycle' in Mar 1939 at 110mph.

DUR142 was a known "Works Hack" (as confirmed by David above), how many did they have?!

Peter B

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think in 1937 Vincent released the "Series B" of the Series "A". I think I have paperwork. It was all about the change in the oil pump and oil tank.It might have been 1938. The oil pump was then stamped "BD" and the pipes into and out of the oil tank were altered. When I say "I think" I am covering my arse due to age and an overflow of data. I KNOW I have adverts from The Motorcycle advertising the Series B single pre war but not sure of dates. I have a very large library but do not utilise the Dewey System. Good to see Dave Bowen back.
Jacqueline Bickerstaff wrote about the pre war series B in MPH 832 pg 17 which includes a copy of the advert mentioned by Albervin. The term series B was used on just the last few TTR bikes made and the biggest difference was a strengthened frame as used on the factory raced bikes in the 1937 TT.

The BD oil pump came in around July 1936 and was nothing to do with the TTR series B. Not sure exactly when the oil tank was changed but probably around the same time.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
According to the factory records, DUR 99 was despatched from the factory in April 1938 to a customer. So that photo could have been a factory photo taken before that date, or a customer / owners photo taken later. No hint of DUR 99 been a factory "hack".

DUR 142 is the only series A twin in the records listed as a factory owned / hack bike and is described as "demo".

mercurycrest

VOC Member
According to the factory records, DUR 99 was despatched from the factory in April 1938 to a customer. So that photo could have been a factory photo taken before that date, or a customer / owners photo taken later. No hint of DUR 99 been a factory "hack".

DUR 142 is the only series A twin in the records listed as a factory owned / hack bike and is described as "demo".
This is from The OZ Vincent Review..