mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Digging through stuff and found these:

A_HRD

VOC Member
David,
(2nd Ad). On close examination, it looks like a normal Series A Twin to me - with registration DUR ** one of which was a "Works Hack" bike I believe.
Peter B

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
3, ad has 1945 had a B Engine. DUR142 was the works hack, It was used by Norman Brewster through the war his mother lived 100 yards from our home, he used to visit her a couple of times a week, what a thrill for a young boy,

greg brillus

VOC Member
The lower picture same as the one on page 102 of David Wright's book "Vincent HRD Motorcycles, how they were promoted and sold" bears number plate DUR 99. These from an advert from November the 9th 1944. The picture above is not clear enough to see the plate easily............... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Albervin

VOC Member
I think in 1937 Vincent released the "Series B" of the Series "A". I think I have paperwork. It was all about the change in the oil pump and oil tank.It might have been 1938. The oil pump was then stamped "BD" and the pipes into and out of the oil tank were altered. When I say "I think" I am covering my arse due to age and an overflow of data. I KNOW I have adverts from The Motorcycle advertising the Series B single pre war but not sure of dates. I have a very large library but do not utilise the Dewey System. Good to see Dave Bowen back.

Albervin

VOC Member
As all of you Series "A" restorers can see, the rims are chrome. No painting at all. What you cannot see well are the round section, John Bull footrest rubbers. The headlight has a clear lens which may mean it had been broken. Also note the large surface area of tyre on road. We would say that is "flat" today.

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Great picture Alyn, those guards are very thin radial section too, you can see it has like some form of extension at the top of the front guard stays. Those John Bull footrest rubbers are available, I have put some on the one I'm restoring. I agree with your comment on David, he has an amazing memory, and a true wealth of history.