OK - so the clutch is a bag of nails - what to do?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All,

I've recently become the proud custodian of a Black Prince, which has done a few miles.

It was running and on the road when I bought it.

I've tinkered with one or two things for a few weeks and so, this week, was the first road test.

Terrible clutch slip.

Cover off - OMG, what a bag of nails. The basket slots are worn into an unrecogniseable profile, one pillar pulled straight out of the carrier plate and then, worse of all, one shoe is wobbling around wildly in the basket with the circlipped pillar pulled almost right out of the shoe standing proud and fouling the rear of the plate nicely.

The basket doesnt feel tight or square to me either.

So.....what to do.....

I guess, if the parts are available, there's a bucket full of cost involved in buying all the bits from the Spares Company to restore the standard clutch - and that'll be a full task, can't mix new bits with old bits I would have thought so I'll need "everything".

And I'm not an engineer - I can fit new bits but that's about it.

Paul Goff mentioned on a thread that Bob Culver rebuilt his original clutch - is Bob still offering that service?

Anywhere else I could try to have the original repaired/rebuilt if that's the route I choose?

Or what about the V3 - is it as "fit and forget" as the advert suggests?

I've read a few threads about challenges.

Thoughts and advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Stuart

davidd

VOC Member
I agree with Bob. I would make an effort to see about getting and original done. The V3 seems to be somewhat unforgettable.

David

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Multi plate clutches require, generally speaking, more lift than the Vincent mechanism is capable of producing easily. ..With the same amount of sweat & swearing a Vincent clutch, with the one piece later style friction plate work very well indeed.

John French

Active Forum User
VOC Member
My experiences with the multiplate setup have been positively below the level of forgettable, my '51 C Rapide already had one fitted so I can't go back to stock without a fairly big wallet ream. I have been able to make it work with some plate changing and fiddling but it is suboptimal enough to be a letdown on an otherwise amazing machine. It works well enough to enjoy the bike but I'm not finished searching for improvement. Keep us posted on what path you pursue and your results, John in NC

deejay499

VOC Member
If you are renewing things, probably worth considering a lightning type friction plate in the pilot clutch, or if you can get one, the double sided one that is more common in the US. Does anyone do them here in the UK?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have the double sided friction plate..it took a little while to bed in, but once that was done..it's superior to the original plate with the inserts

cstewart

Non-VOC Member
Stay with original clutch. Box up what you have and send to Maughans, they will take away the pain and then when it comes back fit and forget.

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
"Terrible clutch slip.

Cover off - OMG, what a bag of nails. The basket slots are worn into an unrecogniseable profile, one pillar pulled straight out of the carrier plate and then, worse of all, one shoe is wobbling around wildly in the basket with the circlipped pillar pulled almost right out of the shoe standing proud and fouling the rear of the plate nicely.

The basket doesnt feel tight or square to me either."

There is not a basket - its a drum and they are not always 'tight'.
Refurbish the original - to the book, grind or file the drum slots to accept the 'racing type' one piece fibre plate (and in the same process remove the existing slot indents (that cause the steel plate to bind) caused by the steel plate). Bush the shoe pivots or replace the shoes, replace the pivots on the carrier, replace the springs in the shoes and adjust TO THE BOOK, fit the centre nut with a dollop of silicone at the back around the seal (to stop oil migration), correctly shim out the centre on the centre bearing, replace the chaincase seal and reassemble to the book.

It will work and beautifully so. Multi plates are the work of the devil and left handed blacksmiths!

But I know nothing - I only used a tuned twin outfit on a standard clutch modded with the racing bits for 5K racing miles, so what do I know.