Oils again

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And the alphapet twin still runs on Castrol R it costs a bit but I save on not having to wear nurses gloves when I oil change
and it sure works well...
(In fact using R must be my only contribution to the environment ):)

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have used Motul 300V 15w40 for years with no problems, I now notice Motul do a 300V 20w60 and they mention along with other applications highly tuned vintage cars, it is on special offer right now from a company called the Oilman, easily found on google, approx £16.50 for 2litres + £6.00 carriage, not too bad for a quality oil.

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Here's a tidbit to chew on.... I seized my 1938 A Comet idling 1/2 hour, in a line of traffic on a hot day, two up, a couple of months ago. I was useing "Diesel rated" 10-40 mobiloil, and had .0065 piston clearance. When I took it apart, the underside of the piston was clean/clear but very sticky to the touch, almost like some kind of invisible glue was on it. Yes, I was using 10 or 15% ethanol, that's what we have here. Was it the oil or the ethanol affecting the oil? Out in the shed, I've found at least four cases of left over Castrol R from my misspent youth, if I can figure out how to completly seal the engine from the primary, you already now my "Plan B. So my question is: Will Bean Oil overcome Ethanol?
Cheers, John

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have used Motul 300V 15w40 for years with no problems, I now notice Motul do a 300V 20w60 and they mention along with other applications highly tuned vintage cars, it is on special offer right now from a company called the Oilman, easily found on google, approx £16.50 for 2litres + £6.00 carriage, not too bad for a quality oil.
What do you mean by `quality oil` ? It can only meet the specification on the can, surely.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
What do you mean by `quality oil` ? It can only meet the specification on the can, surely.
Perhaps I should not compare Oil with Locks, a product I use in the trade that I am in, know and understand, but I can state as a fact that just because two locks from a different manufacturer both conform to BS3621 2007, they are definitely not both of the same quality, they both simply conform to that standard, albeit in terms of quality one might exceed that standard by a fair margin.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bean oil and methnol mix very well as many two stroke racers will tell you
For my sins I am building a 27 Scott (Its year 3 now!) and guess what is going to run on
50:1 castrol R and R for the bottom end feed (Shhh dont tell the purists I am fitting a suzuki posilube pump)