Misc: Everything Else Oil

G

Graham Smith

OK, so I'm probably gonna get 100 different answers, but here goes:

A few months ago, someone very kindly gave me 25lts of 5w/30 oil.

Is it any good for my Vin, as I normally run 20w/50?

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No don't put it in your Vincent, we were advised not to use it when I had my Lawnmower business, we saw it used on a revolving pressure machine that spun and compressed metal to metal until seizure, ironically straight 30 grade was the best, yours and other expensive multigrade oils failed/seized much sooner, other opinions welcome but that's what we saw, and, Briggs and Stratton were the biggest maker in the world of engines then and they said 30g too, that said I use 20/50 classic and or 30 or 40 grade myself because I was given it.

Lovely 30 mile ride out tonight at our old bikes at the old George and after, so nice to get out, 108 bikes there tonight, only one Vincent tonight, my Prince, always appreciated locally because only about 10 miles from where they were made ! Kerry.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
And don't start it....

But there is a thread where mr Gregg says he sort of uses it as the engine was easy to kick over. Than again he is a master spanner...

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
5w30 might be ok in your car, but only in the dead of winter. We run that grade of oil in our car in the winter, but our winter involves -40C..

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
My Modernish (1995) Triumph is 10w30 and my modern cars are 5w30. In the older bikes and car I run either 10w40 or 20w50.