Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' Oil Tank

Tony Cording

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Seedy Comet was to true 'D' specs, using a genuine D rear frame courtesy of John Ulver and a D oil tank supplied by Kemp the Younger. The challenge was to fabricate the dual cross bar as used on the two original D singles, a Comet and a Victor. My good friend Robert using his usual ingenuity came up with the solution, so no we did not use the B/C oil tank. If Robin would like pics contact me at cording@shaw.ca and I will forward. Marcus Bowden also has a D Comet which shows clear examples of how the factory D Comet was put together.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Stuart Jenkinson had a "C" oil tank with a "D" suspension unit on Vinny Longlegs.!? Furnace and Searl did the building of my "D" I just fitted the starter, but would like to know more about my bike as the previous owner is no longer with us but it was at the VOCSC for nearly a year. Any photos required ?

Last edited:

A Nut

VOC Member
When I built my Victor Replica like Tony I used a Series D UFM and then cast up a new F106. I then had to fabricate a second tube to brace it up (only needed on a Comet not on a twin) You then need a D oil tank.I assume you want to convert the standard C UFM to save making all of this. If you want to contact me direct I have some bits that may be of use. Brian Werrett

Attachments

• Bike Photos 005.JPG
    Bike Photos 005.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Bike Photos 007.JPG
    Bike Photos 007.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Bike Photos 008.JPG
    Bike Photos 008.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 20

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
This is going to be difficult to explain, but with my D comet replica, which is a great bike to ride BTW, with a D type AVO rear shock, who ever did it, and I think it was commissioned by Ivor Simon, they got round the problem a different way, it still has the additional lower frame support running from the headstock to the F106, but where it terminates at the seat bracket end it has a heavy u channel incorporated that is welded horizontally across the frame, not longitudinally to the frame, I think from memory that the F106 is cut to fit inside the U channel, and then secured with three or four bolts with nuts and washers that bolt the U channel to the F106, the F106 is a perfect slide fit up into the U channel, and the two parts are bolted together with through bolts, washers and nuts, all done up really tightly and making for a very solid connection, OK not for the purists, but it works and is barely noticeable. I would photograph and post it, but I am current laying in a hospital bed, so unable to do so. Make more D Comets, they are great!

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Bruce, if I were there I would, but I am laying in a hospital bed right now, in any event, once back home and able to get out to the garage, I think I will be able to get clear photos of the method used from below without tank removal.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Or if you cant get a "D" oil tank, See post 6,
Cut a "C" petrol tank in half, Long ways, Fit a 2" spacer to make it higher,
Seal off each side and fit another filler cap the other side,
And fit an oil outlet and return in the bottom, Oh and blank off the hole in the middle from the "C" oil filler,
46 years and still going !.
Just a bit of Fun :) , Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_081723 (4).jpg
    IMG_20200804_081723 (4).jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 33