Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' Oil Tank

robin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There appears to be some confusion between a 'B/C' oil tank (UFM) and a 'D' oil tank.
A 'B/C' oil tank is a structural member whilst a 'D' oil tank is an add on container.
As a matter of interest, the RFM has all the 'C;' bosses and all the 'D' bosses. The RFM has the 'D' type rear spring mounting lugs.
I hope this clarifies the situation
Robin.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The one on the Vincent three wheeler was a B/C oiltank. The lower rear base and 'wall' were cut out and the rear 'wall' moved forwards by two to three inches. This meant that the rear connections for oil out and chain lubricator out no longer existed. The upper end of the 'D' rear coil over was then placed between the two original sides of the oil tank with a solid rod between them to take the thrust of the rear suspension. On the left hand side there was a new connection brazed on which was a new outlet for the main engine oil feed. This was angled slightly outwards and downwards. This is all from memories of over 50 years ago so I cannot give dimensions.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Robin, Are you looking for a shortened oil tank,
So that it takes a long "D" rear spring unit ?, I have seen a photo, But can't remember where.

Just for info' , I have run for many years a "C" rear frame , With a "D" spring unit,
Bit of a long span across the fixings , But not been a problem.
Cheers Bill.

A Nut

VOC Member
I may have missed something here but a B or C RFM is different to a D UFM in that the mounting lugs for the suspension unit on a C are wider apart with holes smaller and closer to the top casting which will not allow the D unit to sit down low enough. The D mounting has holes much closer together and has a greater distance between these holes and the casting. I Know this because I intended using a C RFM on my Victor Replica but ended up fabricating one from scratch using a butchered main casting from a C RFM, 2 lugs from the Spares Co and a top mounting from India but this had to be modified to take a D unit. It follows of course that you can cut the top lugs off a C RFM and weld on 2 new ones (copying a D) I did this because I couldn't find a D RFM

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good point Brian, But I have an angle grinder, :) .
I think I bushed the lower spring fitting. " Needs Must "
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You can also fit a "D" rear spring to an "A" !,
With a few brackets,
Maybe same with a "C" ?.

Attachments

• DSC00082 (3).JPG
    DSC00082 (3).JPG
    357 KB · Views: 22