E: Engine Oil Tank Woes

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
now now Bill , we Irish have long since stopped sending dodgy things in the post !!! :)
Sorry Pete, I was not thinking Irish.
I watch too much T.V. At Airports, Where the bloke goes for a pee, Having left his bag in the hall, To come back and find the airport in Lock Down !!.
I did not send my tank away, I cut a hole in it and cleaned it out then welded it back, Can't tell you how many
Welds it took to seal it !!
Good Luck, Bill.

ossie

VOC Member
Dartford is the busiest scrap yard in the country I use to deliver car spares round there
.you wont find it in a ditch in a skip on its way to china maybe.

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Ok .... an update , just in case anybody has been losing sleep over it ! I have had the barrel and head re-done , and it was a joy to refit. The replacement ( new) oil tank arrived ,and looks fab .............however ,I am having a real difficult time trying to fit it. When i offer it up to the head-stock, the back end is off to one side by by about 10mm , and once i fitted it ( gentle persuasion from a certain rubber mallet) , the whole bike looks crooked. This is confirmed when I offer up the rear shock ( coil over unit) , and its off by the same amount. The rear end and the engine bottom end were undisturbed during the works . The head stock was left affixed to the front end , and wasn't touched since disassembly. Also the holes for fixing through the head-stock didn't line up through the headstock ( one side was slightly higher than the other )

I accept that I will have to remove the oil tank , and the front end , but is there something simple or silly that I have missed ....... please be kind, I am but a Comet rider :)

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Pete, The only thing I can think is maybe the big bracket on top of the Cylinder head is the wrong way round ?. Cheers Bill.

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Ok .... an update , just in case anybody has been losing sleep over it ! I have had the barrel and head re-done , and it was a joy to refit. The replacement ( new) oil tank arrived ,and looks fab .............however ,I am having a real difficult time trying to fit it. When i offer it up to the head-stock, the back end is off to one side by by about 10mm , and once i fitted it ( gentle persuasion from a certain rubber mallet) , the whole bike looks crooked. This is confirmed when I offer up the rear shock ( coil over unit) , and its off by the same amount. The rear end and the engine bottom end were undisturbed during the works . The head stock was left affixed to the front end , and wasn't touched since disassembly. Also the holes for fixing through the head-stock didn't line up through the headstock ( one side was slightly higher than the other )

I accept that I will have to remove the oil tank , and the front end , but is there something simple or silly that I have missed ....... please be kind, I am but a Comet rider :)

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

The UFM assembly is a very complicated piece of kit with a great deal of thought going into the connection of the steering head to the tank, utilising special HT bolts & countersunk nuts for good reason.
Best to read the first few pages of `Richardson' (the Red Book) where it clearly states that "... the assembly is to be regarded as one unit which must not be separated".
Your health and that of any future custodian may depend on getting that reassembled correctly!

Ray

Piston Pete

VOC Member

Attachments

• 2018-11-09 17.04.13.jpg
    2018-11-09 17.04.13.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2018-11-09 17.04.54.jpg
    2018-11-09 17.04.54.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 46

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Thanks Bill - I think its the right way around - I don't think it can fit the other way around .....it is fitted so that the flat piece (lh side of the bracket as you sit on the bike) , sits beneath the "dog-leg" on the bracket that attaches to the headstock.

Piston Pete

VOC Member
The UFM assembly is a very complicated piece of kit with a great deal of thought going into the connection of the steering head to the tank, utilising special HT bolts & countersunk nuts for good reason.
Best to read the first few pages of `Richardson' (the Red Book) where it clearly states that "... the assembly is to be regarded as one unit which must not be separated".
Your health and that of any future custodian may depend on getting that reassembled correctly!

Ray

Thanks Ray - rest assured ,correct reassembly is my aim !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Hey Bill - you are right , I have a photo taken during disassembly ..... and its been put back wrong ( by me .....of course)

I will take it apart later ,and hopefully my banana shaped comet will run true - just hope my butchery hasnt buggered anything up !

Attachments

• 2018-07-17 20.08.40.jpg
    2018-07-17 20.08.40.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 47