E: Engine Oil Tank Woes

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just tried to look at mine, But you can't swing a cat in my garage, And it's blowing a gale outside.
Don't feel bad, I am sure a lot of us have done the same, I am sure I did , But spotted it before I tried to put bolts in. Vin's are strange things to work on, We can make lots of mistakes.
Good Luck, Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Many years ago when I got the Grey Flash, I wondered why the was an "F" scratched into the FT3.
DSCN2549.jpg

The "F" for "Front" is in the middle at the bottom of the bracket. At the top you can see an arrow scratched in that points to the timing side just to the right of the part number. Just enough to act as a reminder.

On the Comets the "shelf" is on the timing side. On the twin it is on the drive side. It's good that you had a photo!

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
After all these years, Pete has made me get the book out !!, I hate books.
But as normal the Comet does not get many words, In Paul Richardson It says "On 1000 cc models the raised portion of the Head Bracket lies to the right on the front cylinder and to the left on the rear ".
When I was playing with the 560, I just laid the bracket on the head and put the "D" frame on top and like Pete, I thought I had been Drinking !.
Bit like the Comet Cam Spindle is the short rear one off the Twin, You would think it would be the front long one. They keep us thinking these Vin's. Cheers Bill.