E: Engine Oil Tank Woes

Piston Pete

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there

I am wondering ( hoping !) that deep in the recesses of some club members shed ,there my be lying a forgotten oil tank - hope springs eternal. eh. I recently sent off my Comet's oil tank to Conways for de-sludging ,however on its journey from Ireland to Conways, some sludge must have leaked out ,and rather than quarantine the item, or place a call to me or Conways, Parcel Force "destroyed" the item .........hmmm. Quite how ,where and on who's command it was destroyed remains a mystery, as trying to get any information or help is proving nigh-on impossible.
Steve at Conways went above and beyond in trying to find out what misfortune befell the tank , but there comes a point when you just have to shrug your shoulders and move on. The head and barrel sent at the same time arrived - and the "destruction" of the tank only became apparent a week after the other packages arrived. No communication from the courier - nothing ............grrrrrr

Anyway - is there a chance that someone has a surplus tank that they would be willing to part with ( before I look at trying to source a new one)

Peter Redmond

vibrac

VOC Member
Spares company have just received a batch of these in stock they are a complex thing to make and are expensive no other suppliers will bother to make them and further supplies may be problematical
I think the services of a lawyer might extract some joy from the carrier to help with the cost

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Spares company have just received a batch of these in stock they are a complex thing to make and are expensive no other suppliers will bother to make them and further supplies may be problematical
I think the services of a lawyer might extract some joy from the carrier to help with the cost

Thanks - i checked the site , and it says the item is out of stock - I emailed the spares co a week ago , but got no reply- i know that they are busy with the move to the new premises. At least I know I can get a replacement - and in reasonable time.

I wont throw good money after bad in chasing the courier - I put a nominal figure of €250 on the value of the package, and that will be the limit of their exposure . In addition , the fact that oil ( a bit of sludge more likely) leaked out will allow them to avoid any claim as oil is on their list of prohibited items for carriage ......its just one of those things you chalk up to ( expensive) experience .

Before I go placing an order ,I was just chancing my arm to see if someone had a tank that they would sell - you know how it is , you buy something , and suddenly you hear the responses " oh i have a few of those under the bench, they have been there for years , you should have let me know"

ossie

VOC Member
perhaps someone in the parcel co. needed a tank sounds odd to me its not a small part.???

Piston Pete

VOC Member
perhaps someone in the parcel co. needed a tank sounds odd to me its not a small part.???

What really annoys me is that the parcel passed thorough 7 different stages without issue, but gets put into the delivery van , and on its way from the Dartford depot to Conways in Kent , the driver disposes of it ! I spent 2 weeks chasing up an incident report - and the attached is all i got. I did enquire as to the manner of its alleged destruction , and whether it was disposed of in accordance with their environmental policy ( if oil is the issue, then surely they cant just chuck it into the nearest bin) - all met with no credible response.

I am keeping an eye on Ebay - but I really think that some driver just dumped it .

Attachments

• DAMAGE REPORT.JPG
    DAMAGE REPORT.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 55

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
i would follow the route from dartford to conways, with a big metal detector, and u find it in a ditch. i guess,
but no kidding Conways do have them!!

anyway its really shit when it happens yes

druridge

VOC Member
Very suspect...... I would be interested in under what authority / whose authorisation the destruction was carried out etc. Presume they have a paper trail 'confirming' who / where/ when/ how it was 'destroyed'?
A solicitors letter might help - but that may cost if you haven't a helpful friend.
I've had trouble with the post before, I sent off a featherbed petrol tank to London packed snug in an old ammunition box, when I rang to check, the chap said it had arrived safely but 'bare', just the tank with his address written on it in marker pen! Someone obviously fancied the box!

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Very suspect...... I would be interested in under what authority / whose authorisation the destruction was carried out etc. Presume they have a paper trail 'confirming' who / where/ when/ how it was 'destroyed'?
A solicitors letter might help - but that may cost if you haven't a helpful friend.
I've had trouble with the post before, I sent off a featherbed petrol tank to London packed snug in an old ammunition box, when I rang to check, the chap said it had arrived safely but 'bare', just the tank with his address written on it in marker pen! Someone obviously fancied the box!

Yes - I have tried to find this out, but met with a wall of silence !! - "it was destroyed" - thats it !!