Oil tank leaking thru cap

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My rapide throws oil out thru the tank cap,at speed.Is a deflector the answere or is there a better solution.
Don't fill the tank. Remember there is always some oil in the sump & pipes (unless you have drained the whole system) so when putting oil in the tank you need to allow for the extra volume PLUS the expansion when the oil heats up. It is a mistake that even experienced hands occasionally make & a little (hot) oil goes a long way! You will (eventually) learn to only fill to within a couple of inches from the top.;)

olvinut13

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Don't fill the tank. Remember there is always some oil in the sump & pipes (unless you have drained the whole system) so when putting oil in the tank you need to allow for the extra volume PLUS the expansion when the oil heats up. It is a mistake that even experienced hands occasionally make & a little (hot) oil goes a long way! You will (eventually) learn to only fill to within a couple of inches from the top.;)
Thanks for that. I never fill to anywhere near the top,only to the bar inside the tank.Also have a Conways non return valve to prevent sumping.

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi I made a new cap seal but the oil even comes out thru the cap breather hole. Makes a mess all over the engine after a long run

Sounds like pressure build up , which is strange as the engine doesn't breathe into the oil tank. I take it there isn't excessive venting from the breather ?

olvinut13

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Engine breathing seems as adequate as other Vins Ive had. I believe there was a Minivin deflector mentioned in a past MPH,so I guess others have had this problem.?