oil tank capacity

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anybody have a suggestion for the minimum capacity of an external oil tank for a Comet in a frame setup without the UFM?
Cheers,

vince998

VOC Member
Hi Nobby,
Long time no hear.

The standard "C" oil tank holds 6 pints for the twin & the Comet.
Following this logic, the "D" tank holds 5 pints, the same tank being used on the twins and the few singles made (Victor)

I have a redundant "D" tank you could use for measurements if you want.
If you decide to copy, let me know cause i´ve been looking at getting one made in stainless (but slightly enlarged in width)
The enlarged tank i´ve got on the D at the moment is on it´s last legs (it is only thin guage plate, and internal rust through condensation has taken its toll)

Albervin

VOC Member
Cor, Comets certainly do not need as big a tank as a twin in normal circumstances. Is this for track or road? What was/is the capacity of an Egli Comet frame? If the tank is in the breeze then I am sure you could get by with 4 pints. Here in Australia I always run with a full tank in Summer (on my Twin) but in Winter am happy to use a pint or more less than max. What is the capacity of an "A" Comet tank ? It was 3 1/2 pints but the TTR was 8 pints!! "A" Rapide was only 4. Considering alcohol engines run relatively cool can someone explain why a TTR should have 8 pints of oil!?

nobby

VOC Member
Hi Alyn,
this is for a 600 Comet, build for the road, and the oil tank won't be 'in the breeze' but tuck away under the seat. It will hold almost 3 liters.
Do not know the capacity of an Egli frame.
Cheers,