Oil tank cap

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have been asked by a member if the oil cap pictured below is anything special. Series A has been suggested to which my answer is I don't know. Any ideas?
Simon
Cap top.jpg
Cap underside.jpg

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have one just like that with the same stamping inside and out and the chrome worn off. It came with the pile of bits for my B, but was one of a couple of originals including the more familiar one (FOR WINTFR). I was told that it was used for machines that were going to hotter climates and might require a better grade of oil to cope, but I cannot verify that. This picture looks a bit less flat across the top than mine, but that may be an illusion.

Albervin

VOC Member
I think that the size of the breather hole looks larger than normal. I will have to check old photos but I am sure my old Series A had a similar cap. I have also seen them on other pre-war machines with dry sump lubrication. I would hazard a guess that ceandess were the major supplier of caps so all m/cycle manufacturers used the same dimensions for their tanks.

vibrac

VOC Member
I would not be surprised if they were different for the antipodeans after all they were as cheap as chips to buy. I have one of the misspelt ones somewhere I actually changed it for a plain one on the racer when I needed to put a bigger breather hole in the cap for Methanol:eek:, I must watch that or I shall be a collector if I don't curb my bad habits:cool:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I've looked pretty extensively on these and come to the conclusion they are pre-war up until around 1949, when stocks were used up and replaced by the later model.
They are nickel plated and easy enough to restore at home with a plating kit.
Cheers, John

ossie

VOC Member
I have one just like that with the same stamping inside and out and the chrome worn off. It came with the pile of bits for my B, but was one of a couple of originals including the more familiar one (FOR WINTFR). I was told that it was used for machines that were going to hotter climates and might require a better grade of oil to cope, but I cannot verify that. This picture looks a bit less flat across the top than mine, but that may be an illusion.
perhaps they lost the E stamp.