Oil return

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi everyone,

The five year 1200 conversion of my Egli is finished. Hoorah!

I thought it would be a good idea to use starting rollers to get the oil circulating before I attempted to start it. Have done that but no oil return after more than a minute on the rollers.

During the rebuild I changed from a twin start oil pump back to single start one, so this is the first time I've turned it over with this pump. The twin start used to circulate within about twenty seconds.

Is it normal for the single start to take so much longer or have I got a problem somewhere?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Cannon

Sent from my iPad

craig

VOC Member
I remember several Vincent owners help "roller oiling" a fresh Shadow. same scenario, 2 minutes on rollers and yet no oil pulsing out filler neck. full examination, lots o discussion , back on rollers, several more minutes.............then finally pulsing.
Cheers
Craig

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
It takes quite a while to fill up the oil filter chamber, soak the filter and work the oil up to the tank..squirt some oil down the pushrod tubes, and give it a few more minutes...

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Not a bad idea to tip at least a pint of oil into the bottom of the crankcase by removing a rocker cap. That way the scavange side of the pump will pick it up straight away and lubricate the rocker gear on it's way back to the tank but don't fill the tank to the max.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Did you prime the pump on assembly? A dry pump will not "suck" . You could try- attatch a pipe to the outlet port, attatch a small funnel to said pipe, fill halfway with motor oil, turn the motor BACKWARDS until the level in the funnel falls, then re-connect and try again. On re -try, remove the little screw from the quill to ensure that oil is actually being delivered to the places that needs it. If it is not getting in, the best pump in the world cannot return it! Be Lucky, Roy.

vibrac

VOC Member
Give it time
our foxley starter had 3 goes about 6 minuites before a spurt appeared (must be getting old like me....)

davidd

VOC Member
Hi everyone,

The five year 1200 conversion of my Egli is finished. Hoorah!

I thought it would be a good idea to use starting rollers to get the oil circulating before I attempted to start it. Have done that but no oil return after more than a minute on the rollers.

During the rebuild I changed from a twin start oil pump back to single start one, so this is the first time I've turned it over with this pump. The twin start used to circulate within about twenty seconds.

Is it normal for the single start to take so much longer or have I got a problem somewhere?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Cannon

Sent from my iPad

Congratulations! I hope you can post or send me a photo sometime. All the advice is good. It often takes a long time depending on how you primed the lines. I often fill all the lines including the return to the bottom of the tank. When I do that there is usually pressure within a minute. If I do not there is usually pressure in five minutes or so. The culprit is usually the scavenge side because that chamber behind the flywheels takes so long to fill with enough oil to keep the pump full.

On the early Eglis the return line was connected to a stub that went through the top of the oil tank and connected to another stub with clear plastic tubing that dropped the oil back into the tank so you could see the oil moving or not. The placement of the feed and return line connections vary quite a bit and without knowing your set-up just reassure yourself that you have plumbed the oil lines correctly. You can also attach a clear line to the return line that comes of the front head. Fill it mostly with oil and steady it in the cables and headlight mount. You can see if there is movement or bubbles or nothing. If there is nothing check the oil pump to make sure the pin is in there and has not backed out. If there is oil on the ground you might have left out the grub screw to the scavenge chamber. I have seen both of these things occur.

Good luck.

David

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Having checked the pump and lines I went for start on the rollers today. Pleased to say it fired cleanly on both cylinders straight away. What a treat to hear that glorious sound after five years. I was over the moon.
Within a minute or so oil started pulsing through the return sight tube so all seems well. Just need a few tweaks to get it road legal and try to relearn how to kickstart it then it's all go.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Bill Cannon