OP: Oil Pump Oil return filter

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Nigel,
This is standard practice on all aircraft, you only have clean oil going back to the tank, and as Vincent says it means clean oil to the valve gear/rockers

I have the same on both Comet and Rapide.

Neil

vibrac

VOC Member
I am a bit lost on this oil filter subject. I know none of the forties-fifties machines were wonderful with their filters but nowadays with improved oils and (in my case) oil and filters changed at a half or even less than the recommended mileage or end of the season whichever is the soonest. I just tend to leave it standard (I do have the cartridge type filter, not the felt one and a magnetic sump plug), because I can't quite see the point of extra aftermarket filters ( for normal road use) especially when used on machines breathing in without an air filter which must be a real wear generator.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Cylinders: i run with westwood liners made from Nodulair (sperical) cast iron, harder but under a hardend piston spring.

Your oil cant be clean enough.

I like the idea of that strong magnet form Mr sidmadrid, allthough this is not avoiding the mess in an upper frame member.

vibrac

VOC Member
As far as I know, the only time Vincents ever thought the filtration system was inadequate on a contemporary basis was when they went for alloy crank pins on their works Flashes. Mr Surtees subsequently did a lot to sort that on his machine but I have never found out exactly what was done.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
John McDougal had a friend who bought a brand new Shadow and rode it a lot all over Canada and the US. Pretty soon he had 100,000 miles on it. He changed the oil about every 1000 miles but he never knew there was an oil filter on the bike so he never changed it! I guess it didn't matter that much.

davidd

VOC Member
I ran three filters on the racer. Of course, they are not lovely pieces like Vincent makes, but they do the job.

100_1597.jpg

The stock one, the spin-on and there is a pre-filter that is between the silencer and the ufm. The pre-filter looks like this:
Filter_DD_2.jpg

It has a magnet and a wire screen. With filtered oil going into the tank it should be clean, but the pre-filter is a good backup in case anything falls into the oil tank (or flakes off).

The spin-on filter is the RGM Norton remote filter, but in the States, the filter itself is available from NAPA.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I ran three filters on the racer. Of course, they are not lovely pieces like Vincent makes, but they do the job.

The stock one, the spin-on and there is a pre-filter that is between the silencer and the ufm. The pre-filter looks like this:

It has a magnet and a wire screen. With filtered oil going into the tank it should be clean, but the pre-filter is a good backup in case anything falls into the oil tank (or flakes off).

The spin-on filter is the RGM Norton remote filter, but in the States, the filter itself is available from NAPA.

David
Another item that search as I may is not available in UK. I suppose the USA market is so big no-one ever worries about exports. Is this the one made by Vtwin manufacturing?