Oil pump Comet Serie A

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
I wondered about the presence of the OP25 screw with its 91 locknut in OP24 when there is nothing on the other pump connection. I understand that this is to allow the spring and the ball to be inserted so that it fits correctly. am I right ?
If so, do you have to screw in OP 24 first, insert the spring and the ball, then OP25 and 91 ? Or not ?

delboy

VOC Member
Hello,
I wondered about the presence of the OP25 screw with its 91 locknut in OP24 when there is nothing on the other pump connection. I understand that this is to allow the spring and the ball to be inserted so that it fits correctly. am I right ?
If so, do you have to screw in OP 24 first, insert the spring and the ball, then OP25 and 91 ? Or not ?
Hi Michel,
Spring OP20 and the ball are held in the pump body by banjo bolt OP24. [They should not be able to pass through OP24]

So, spring and ball are inserted first and then banjo bolt [with the cylinder feed banjo and sealing washers] screwed into the pump body.
Screw OP25 and 91 locknut are for adjusting the amount of oil delivered to the cylinder feed.
See page 267 of "Back to A", and it should make it clear.
Cheers, Delboy.

Michel

VOC Member
Good morning Delboy,
I asked the question because given the orientation of the pump it is difficult to be sure that the spring and the ball are positioned correctly when screwing the banjo bolt.
Thank you.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I did one a few weeks ago, put a blob of grease on the end of the spring to stick the ball on. Put another blob on the outside of the ball, carefully install the ball+spring, the grease will hold it in position while you fit the banjo + bolt. Only use fibre washers , dowty washers are thicker and will upset the fitted spring pressure.