Oil pressure relief valve

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have an annoying drip from the above. The relief valve plug OP38 appears to be recessed about 3/16" and the hole has been staked. Is it normal for the plug to be so far recessed and are there any tips for a fix?
Thanks Mac

macvette

Non-VOC Member
DSC00076.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I have to apologise for a careless red herring question:oops:. The previous pictures show the offending oil leak. I mistakenly called it the oil relief valve after hurriedly looking at my antique spares list. It looks like a plug sealing an oil gallery drilling and appears to be made of brass. Am I right this time? It's pretty tight so I'm a little concerned about damage on taking it out.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There is a few of those blanks Mac, I don't think they should be screwed up to anything, Just sealed and just below the surface, Then pin punched, They were cheese head screws, Can't see the point going over to this type, Unless you grind a flat or something, You have nothing to punch on to ?. Cheers bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
The original was simply a short length of 3/8 Whit rod with a screwdriver slot. The slot was used for the punch locking.
Best just solvent it all clean and install with some nutlock.