ET: Engine (Twin) Oil pressure problems

alpinedino

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear All,

I hope you can help me. I am from Spain and new to this forum and have a problem with my Vincent Black Shadow. I bought the bike and haven't used it since. I find the screw in the UFM was completely closed. I started the bike and the oil spurted out over 7m on top of the chain lubrication area (I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the terms in English). My question is, how much do I have to loosen this screw to open it? 1/4, 1/2, etc? As I had no idea, and as it was completely closed, I "joined" the tube that lubricates the chain to the oil return tube. Will that cause any problems? Can it cause any problems?
I look forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks a lot,
Javier

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hola Alpinedino, If the screw inside the oil tank filler cap is completely closed it will not cause a problem. There is very little pressure in the Vincent oil system so I do not understand what you mean when you write that the oil spurted 7m. That should not be possible. Do not connect the return pipe to the oil feed pipe as that could cause the return oil to go to the chain. I speak some Spanish and can use Google translate for anything that I do not understand so explain the problem in Spanish and I will try to help. What part of Spain do you live in?

davidd

VOC Member
The screw should be closed. It does not need adjustment.
Chain Oiler 01.PNG

The oil line from the front head goes to the bottom middle of the oil tank. It spurts out of the hole that you see in the front. If you give the engine fuel when the oil cap is off it can spurt onto the the bike. With no fuel it spurts just a little and stays inside the oil tank.

I agree with Norman that you should not be connecting to the return pipe.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is a strange one, I think He must have a Crank Case full of oil, Which has drained down after being not run for a long time.
And then He has filled the oil tank, The oil pump is now trying to get the oil back to the tank and is Over Filling the tank ?.
A fault we have all had at some time.
The thing to do is drain the too much oil, Out of the drain plug, Which in down by the left Prop Stand.
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
If you unscrew the needle valve completely the oil can come out this way like a geysir (geyser). Erik

timetraveller

VOC Member
Have you actually seen this Erik? I always fit a twin start oil pump to every twin engine I work on for myself. It is true that one needs a small deflector plate to stop the oil splashing under the oil filler cap and I make them from a piece of 'baked bean' can, about 50mm by 25 mm, curved to deflect the oil downwards. Even with the twin start pump the oil at low revs still comes out in low pressure blobs/spurts. What would happen at high revs I don't know but why would anyone rev the engine flat out without the screw in place?
On the other hand I do remember a V8 Range Rover engine I had rebuilt and which would not prime the oil pump and filter. I had taken one of the connections off the oil filter, probably the pressure sensor. I put about ten litres of oil in the engine so that the oil pump had to be under the surface and then started the engine. About two to four litres of oil went three metres into the air covering me, the front of the car and the surrounding drive in about five seconds. Really impressive

alpinedino

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you all for your comments. the bike stopped 7 years ago and the oil was all in the carter ... I just drained it. I'll tell you if he keeps spitting oil like crazy