Oil passage from the pump to the filter chamber

johnmead

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am getting ready to put a twin engine back together. I cleaned the cases in an industrial ultrasonic cleaner and they look like new.

However, when getting ready to install a new oil pump sleeve I noticed some swarf/spooge way down in the end of the pump chamber. I sprayed some cleaner down there and used a shop rag over the end of a long screwdriver to get it out. I want to make sure that I have all of the crap out of the cases. So is the passage from the oil pump chamber straight to the oil filter chamber and what should the diameter of the passage be?

I ordered a set of 12 inch long automobile engine oil passage brushes in 1/8 to 3/8 inch diameter to clean the passage.

John Mead

clevtrev

VOC Member
I am getting ready to put a twin engine back together. I cleaned the cases in an industrial ultrasonic cleaner and they look like new.

However, when getting ready to install a new oil pump sleeve I noticed some swarf/spooge way down in the end of the pump chamber. I sprayed some cleaner down there and used a shop rag over the end of a long screwdriver to get it out. I want to make sure that I have all of the crap out of the cases. So is the passage from the oil pump chamber straight to the oil filter chamber and what should the diameter of the passage be?

I ordered a set of 12 inch long automobile engine oil passage brushes in 1/8 to 3/8 inch diameter to clean the passage.

John Mead
5/16".................

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Trev,
Does it go straight from the end of the pump chamber to the filter chamber or does it take a turn or two in between?

John

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Thank you. The oil passage brushes should be here tomorrow and I by this weekend, I will have the cleanest oil pump to filter chamber passage ever.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Some of the passageways through into the filter chamber are small and quite restricted, if this is the case i often open it out a bit with a long rotary burr through from the filter housing side of it...can't do any harm..can it...

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
The fit of oil pump sleeve to case bore is just one of the many places Vincents leak oil back into the sump doing no good what-so-ever to the parts that need it..... this is a minor one: but they all add up.

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Thank you for the tip. I am using a new Tony Maugham single start pump assembly. The sleeve just slipped in after heating the case.

John Mead

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Loss of oil from the box is most usually past the twin bronze bushings in G 4 . Yours is a very tight and dry running example for sure ! Sid .