FF: Forks Oil or grease

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Problem with grease is that the grease is pressed out of the bushes during riding the bike because a Little Play is necessary between the bushes and the spindles.Oil flows back into the gap.Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
step foward he who is prepared to try Penright semi fluid grease it seems to find its way out of my Albion box after a hill climb....

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
On the Girdraulic fork I have those nice standard grease nipples that were fitted to Vincents originally, they work well with the toolkit grease gun, but if you are lucky you might pick up a bigger version of that gun, also made by Tecalemit and originally supplied with Heidelberg printing machines, mind you that is going back to the sixties, I use Comma CV grease, which is impregnated with molybdenum disulphide, which is reasonably thin/light and seems to squeeze out of gaps readily when applied, if you do get a bit lazy and forget to apply it for a while, one would hope that there is a useful coating of M. D. to tide you over, I don't see any reason why it could not be used with Brampton forks to good effect. I seem to remember an article years ago warning about the use of M. D. perhaps when subjected to water or salt or electrical current, something about breaking down and creating sulphuric acid, to the best of my knowledge this has never happened when I have used it, and that is a very long time.