FF: Forks Oil or grease

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now I have brand new Brampton forks I wonder what is the best lubrication, oil or grease. It doesn't matter if the friction dampers are contaminated as I have a coil over damper fitted. As always I am indebted to the knowledge out there in matters I know nothing.

vibrac

VOC Member
I oil mine always have - (doesnt mean thats the best though) I get a few drips on the mudguard etc but thats part of the patina

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks Tim. If it working for you then it should work for me. How often and what oil?

vibrac

VOC Member
I must admit at a circuit I often slipped some R in the girdralics but only because that was all I had but on the Alpahbet twin the Bramptons have some sae 20 or at a pinch some 20 30 from an oil can. I too have a coil over so dont worry about the disks. But I emphasize I have no idea if there is a better way of lubrication I am sure some A owner could advise but on the other hand the Bramptons cost me £100 so I have been lubricating them that way a long time!

Albervin

VOC Member
I must admit at a circuit I often slipped some R in the girdralics but only because that was all I had but on the Alpahbet twin the Bramptons have some sae 20 or at a pinch some 20 30 from an oil can. I too have a coil over so dont worry about the disks. But I emphasize I have no idea if there is a better way of lubrication I am sure some A owner could advise but on the other hand the Bramptons cost me £100 so I have been lubricating them that way a long time!
Tim, the guy that sold me the Rapide was a racer (Bill Forbes) and he had fitted oil cups to a couple of the links. He said that the oil gets to where it is needed but grease forms a lump and often doesn't get to where needed. You have reassured me that oil works.Now I need to find out what sort of bushes are actually fitted and hopefully the manufacturer will advise. Not sure of the differences between oilite and Lead Bronze.

Last edited:

john998

VOC Member
Hello, in theory oilite should have oil as they are porous and hold oil. But they also take up water if given the opportunity. Oilite is not a good combination on stainless spindles, also I worry about stainless on Brampton's as they are such small diameter.
Standard spindles and lead bronze or engineering plastic lubricated with grease works for me. John.

vibrac

VOC Member
I was always sorry when the black plastic top hat bushes for girdraulics ceased because of lack of demand I always found them superior to oilite

A_HRD

VOC Member
Don't forget, there are no bushes in Series A Bramptons, so lubrication comparisons with postwar ones with olite/lead-bronze/plastic bushes are unlikely to be applicable...
Peter B

Albervin

VOC Member
I have spoken to the manufacturer and he said he uses SAE 660 leaded bronze bearings. They’re sometimes called 932 bronze bearings. He says he uses grease but sees no reason why a heavy oil won't do the job. As far as S/S spindle are concerned , there are many types of S/S. These are in a Series B Rapide.

Albervin

VOC Member
Interestingly a close look at the old forks and spindles shows the grease was not getting to where it was needed. The links had a lot of grease in them but two of the spindles were totally hammered and one of the bushes was well beyond its "use by" date.