Oil Level?

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Happy New Year to you all, Can anyone tell me to what level should the oil tank be filled? and what is the outcome if over filled? Kevin

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The outcome if overfilled is that the overflow spills over the UFM and your motor and maybe everything aft of there.

davidd

VOC Member
If you look straight down into the UFM there is a crosswise brace. Most owners use this as a marker for how much oil is in the tank. Most like the brace to be covered. You can fill the tank to the top as long as you leave enough room for the oil in the sump to move into the tank, so do not fill it slam full. If you are loosing oil at a high rate, there is no penalty to filling the tank as much as possible. I did this on a long trip when oil began to emanate from every joint in the engine.

David

Howard

VOC Member
A friend of mine (hopefully VOC member now) bought a Rap at auction last year, and I checked it over with him before starting for the first time. Well over a pint had drained into the sump, and it looked like new oil, so we poured it into the oil tank through a mesh. ........................... BIG mistake!! The lighting was dim, and since it had obviously sumped while standing (????) we assumed the oil tank would be low. Whoever put it in the auction had topped up the tank without checking why the oil level was low. We spotted the problem before too much mess was made, but if we hadn't drained the sump, the first ride would have been fun.

H

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have used what we call a turkey baster to suck the excess oil out.

ist2_1078991_turkey_baster.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
Bruce,

Thank you for including the photo. I have at least a dozen uses for that device, but cooking! Wow! I now have at least 13 uses.

David