oil leaking from valve lifter area

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
yep, that age old problem, leaking out of the rear of the timing chest.
What's available to try and make this area oil tight?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Vinparts has an ET169KIT that I fitted some time ago and works well. The VOCSC lists modified parts for that area, but it isn't clear if it is for a seal. KTB mentions using head mounted decompressors, but with drawbacks. There are some decompressors for big inch HDs, which could be googled to find them.

timetraveller

VOC Member
To totally cure oil leaks from the valve lifter modfify the ET 169 as below. Bore the inner end out to take a reduced diameter ET 183 oil seal and a small steel disc, which you will have to make. Both the ET 183 and the steel disc need to have a hole through them, which is a loose fit on the spoke part of the valve lifter mechanism. Push the modified ET 183 and the new steel disc into the bored out ET 169 and lightly peen the end to prevent the new disc coming out. The idea is that the inner base of ET 165AS, which slides inside ET 169, now sits on the rubber seal and totally prevents oil getting out. No need for seals or gasket sealer on the outside or rubber sleeves and Jubilee clips. Simple to make and it has worked for fifty years.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
The Kemp system seals on the larger diameter of ET165AS immediately below the nipple carrier. Time Traveller's seals on the smaller diameter, which I think is a standard spoke size. The Kemp system works quite well (better than the original for sure) and works even better when ET168 is right way round. Don't ask. I still have a leak in that area, or at least a leak that collects there. From experience I wouldn't be surprised to find that the source of the leak is the front left head stud. Vincent oil leaks too move in mysterious ways. I'm going to try TT's device - easy enough to make a new modified ET169 - next time I have the timing cover off. Which I hope won't be any time soon.
I have wondered if some of the "moistness" is fling from my Scott-oiled chain at the gearbox sprocket, but since the level of chainsaw oil in the Scott-oiler goes down at a glacial pace, I can't see how. Any opinions?
The chain incidentally is a bog-standard JWIS, and has required adjustment precisely ONCE in 18,000 miles.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Cylinder head decompressors? No thanks; they make an awful noise when turning the engine over and involve extra cables as if there weren't enough already! The standard arrangement is OK provided that the return spring in the Timing Chest is strong enough, the seals are of the correct oil resistant rubber, the cable is free running and the engine isn't badly worn. There have been instances where people have heated up the crankcase to renew main bearings or perhaps a cam spindle with the valve lifter spring in place; take it out first otherwise it will loose it's temper and so will you if you've got the timing gear bulit up and then realise it's overstretched!

John Cone

VOC Member
P1000290.jpg

As mentioned previously, this is the modifed valve lifter seal. I have had for a while now, and will fit it oneday. It's just the
thought of pulling all of the timing side down just for a drip of oil. When it's warm in the shed it'swarm enough to ride, get my drift.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I fitted the modified Kemp valve lifter seal assembly 3 years ago and the valvelifter has been leaktight ever since. Highly recommended. Buy the bits, put them on the shelf and then next time you are in the timing side fit the new seal assembly.

Cheers
Simon.

John Cone

VOC Member
Eureka, I think i have cured the blessed oil leeks around the push rod tubes. it turn out to be the plastic ball inside the elephants trunk breather had gummed up with white sludge and was solid. Hense the old girl was struggling to breath and pushed oil out from anywhere it could. Been out for a 30 mile run and not a drop of oil on the drive.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Update: I've taken the old dear out for a 40 mile blat around Aberdeen a couple of times since my post below, and oil leaks from the Kemp valve lifter mechanism are there none. There certainly were before. Thanks, Russell.