oil leaking from valve lifter area

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I did the Kemp Type modification but on the inside of the timing cover. I like the idea to put a seal when the oil is still in the engine, not already half way out of the engine

John Cone

VOC Member
Although i have bought the modified part, the thought of pulling it apart made me put it off. I'm glad i did now, because i found that oil was starting to appear around everything that had a seal. I decided to take off the Elephants trunk breather, to find that due to doing many short journeys that it had gummed up with white sludge the plastic ball that acts as a timed valve. It was blocked solid. Since reassembly theres not been one drop of oil on my driveway.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm with Black Flash on this. If you like to tinker then it is an easy thing to make. The Kemp system is very well made and elegant but you can make your own as described above and stop the oil on the inside more or less for nothing.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The point of the modification I described above is that there is nothing touching the larger diameter of the ET165AS which might cause it to stick. Instead the only thing which has to slide is the spoke through the new rubber seal and that can be a loose fit. The seal is formed by the larger part of the motion block, into which the spoke fits, sitting down on the rubber seal. Each to his own!!