Oil leak

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
After a run, I'm getting a stream of oil running down the cover at the front of the engine (see pic).
Is it just a case of re-tightening the head and barrel nuts?
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG115.jpg
    IMG115.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 139

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I think I would start by examining the inspection cover seals, then move on to the oil feeds to the rockers...Give the bike a good scrub first, then let it idle ( with a couple of fans blowing hard on the engine) on the rear stand...Watch the engine carefully. I rather doubt its the barrel or head nuts.

danno

Non-VOC Member
That's great, thanks. I give it a clean and check those out.
It looked as though oil was coming from the barrel base with the trickle on top of the cover. Also there is a small drip hanging under the cylinder head which made me think it was coming from the barrel/head join.

deejay499

VOC Member
It is possible to come from an oil pipe, drip onto the rear of the front cylinder fins, and runs down the fins to drip from the front. Oil pipes can perish over time and let oil weep through them. Good luck.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
There can be leaks along that top front crankcase stud. While apart a small counterbore can be mad in the case half and a suitable o-ring installed.

danno

Non-VOC Member
CollingsBob;48688 ...Give the bike a good scrub first said:
Thanks for the replies. I did clean it up around the area a while back but checked it only after a run. Thought that maybe the leak only happens under pressure when bike's being used. Having difficulty pin pointing it like this though.
Hoping that it will show with engine idling.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. I did clean it up around the area a while back but checked it only after a run. Thought that maybe the leak only happens under pressure when bike's being used. Having difficulty pin pointing it like this though.
Hoping that it will show with engine idling.
It`s not the pressure, it`s the gaps getting larger, as it gets warmer.

Albervin

VOC Member
One of your spark plug leads looks awfully close to the barrel. Nothing to do with oil leak but may eventually lead to loss of sparks.

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Danno,
Something else for you to look for. It is just one of the many strange quirks of the twin. I have noticed an oil leak from the rear of the engine can get blown forward and show itself at the front, and probable that the faster you ride the more chance of it happening.( Just don’t put your head down there to check at high speed).

Col.