Oil leak

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My 52 Shadow had similar leaks from the following areas and the following solutions:

Oil Feed line gasket - V3 gaskets above and below making sure that part was not caved in on top by making screw to tight.
Oil fed line junction - Replace oil feed line or re braze the junction or replace herringbone flex oil line
Tappet covers - V3 gaskets
Head seal - re-torque head to 30ft/lbs in stages - Actually needed the motor rebuilt in my case
front Cyl ex push rod tube - V3 gaskets Oil blew around from the RH side from the tube and down the mag cover...

My bike is far from oil tight but it is getting better every year by just keeping after it and hunting down the big leaks and then the mid sized leaks and then the small leaks..It is grand way to get to know your bikes better..

BTW +1 on he clean and dust with baby powder idea
Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi
That's very helpful,thanks. Haven't heard of V3 gaskets but there does seem to be a a bit of oil around the tappet covers.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hi
That's very helpful,thanks. Haven't heard of V3 gaskets but there does seem to be a a bit of oil around the tappet covers.

I you have not done so yet please join the VOC as V3 advertises in MPH every month or so and he has a bunch of kit for our bikes to help keep them on the road
get the complete gasket set.

How long have you had the bike?

Eric

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
I you have not done so yet please join the VOC as V3 advertises in MPH every month or so and he has a bunch of kit for our bikes to help keep them on the road..
In the UK Contact V3 distributer ............. and get the complete gasket set.

Eric

Hi. It's been in the family since around 1958. I inherited it in 2003 and it was then laid up for around eight years.
Got it back on the road two years ago and am now learning how to maintain it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hi. It's been in the family since around 1958. I inherited it in 2003 and it was then laid up for around eight years.
Got it back on the road two years ago and am now learning how to maintain it.

Well take your time go on short trips and fix or attend to the issues as they come up. All may seem lost at one time or another but stick with it and heed the teachings from this list and the club writings(BTW get the Books 'Spare Parts List', 'Riders Handbook', 'Vincent Motorcycles' by Paul Richardson, 'Know Thy Beast' by Eddie Stevens, 'Forty Years On' and 'Another Ten Years' etc ) and in time it will be set right and you will be the next one who will help the new guy/gal. There will be a lot of leaks like this from all sorts of places you have not thought of.. Fear not we have all been there and most of us are still there..

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks
Forgot to mention I have all of the important books and Spare Parts List- the Paul Richardson one is red and look likes the original going on the condidition.
Next up is the tyres as they've been on there since a mid nineties rebuild.
All of the help getting the bike back on the road a couple of years ago came from this forum so really grateful :D

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
I you have not done so yet please join the VOC as V3 advertises in MPH every month or so and he has a bunch of kit for our bikes to help keep them on the road..
In the UK Contact V3 distributer ............. and get the complete gasket set.

Eric

Sometimes people forget this is an open forum unless it's in the members only section. I'm not the UK distributor; I hold stock of these parts for the convenience of VOC members in this country. That’s why details are in MPH, giving out my email address to non-members isn't helpful.

Vince Farrell

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Sometimes people forget this is an open forum unless it's in the members only section. I'm not the UK distributor; I hold stock of these parts for the convenience of VOC members in this country. That’s why details are in MPH, giving out my email address to non-members isn't helpful.

Vince Farrell

My apologies then Vince I had not considered that as the case I will edit the post.