Oil leak

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not just Vincents one of the Bibles* relates the BSA Gold star in the IOM that had oil on the front mudguard from way back on the engine

*"Tuning for speed","Speed and how to obtain it"

ossie

VOC Member
mine seeps from the stud that holds the clamp to the mag cover ,a bit of sealer and nip it up tight when the cover is in position.[shadow]

jim burgess

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. I did clean it up around the area a while back but checked it only after a run. Thought that maybe the leak only happens under pressure when bike's being used. Having difficulty pin pointing it like this though.
Hoping that it will show with engine idling.
clean it, dry it, dust in talcum powder, run it and watch the tears of a clown effect, trace back thru wet dust.
jim burgess

danno

Non-VOC Member
One of your spark plug leads looks awfully close to the barrel. Nothing to do with oil leak but may eventually lead to loss of sparks.

It's around an inch from the barrel but both HT leads do rest on the carb mounts in between the cylinders. Not a lot of room the keep them clear of the engine.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Looks like a leak that's new and large. The leak appears to be coming from the magneto area.Shouldn't be hard to find the source of a leak that size.

danno

Non-VOC Member
mine seeps from the stud that holds the clamp to the mag cover ,a bit of sealer and nip it up tight when the cover is in position.[shadow]

Yes, there's oil around that. Also the HT leads, valve lifter and clutch cable are coated in oil. Seeps a little from the inspection cabs although I have tightened them. May need new washers. The oil feed hose is leaking (LH side near front cylinder) where the hose fits over the metal pipe. This maybe causing the oil on the cables.
Sometimes get a trickle near the gearbox oil inpection cap.
Anybody got an oil tight Vin?
I remember when I used to frequent a North London classic bike show at Picketts Lock (now the Olympic stadium) and a chap used to show up on an immaculate, oil tight Shadow (may have been a combination). Not a spot of oil.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
That's the thing about a Shadow, hard to tell it's leaking unless it drops some, REALLY hard to find a leak when it does (shiny black mark on a shiny black engine!!)
Chris.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Oh yes, forgot about that. Don't think is was a Shadow then. Some of the bikes at the show had mirrors on the floor under the engine. All helps to impress the judges I guess.