E: Engine Oil leak

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have an oil leak as shown in this picture. It's been over 40 years since I had the opportunity to examine these things, so I don't know what the purpose of this plug is. Is it another pressure relief valve?

In any case, what's to be done to stop this drip??

Attachments

• 20210524_164509.jpg
    20210524_164509.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 81

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
`Gary my handsome, that is a 5/16" drilling for the oil return suction to the pump, tapped 3/8"Whit-worth thread, I normally replace it with a couple of wraps around of PTFE tape or some kind of silicon rubber and replace it with an Alan type grub screw, easier to get hold of in future.
bananaman.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Note that after the 43 odd jears, there might be some debriss....
Getting in the way to seal nicely.
Maybe clean the thread, before screwing in....

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I had a set of cases that were cracked along side the thread. Fortunately spotted whilst still apart and cured by welding and re tapping the hole, just in case it was required to be opened to clean a passageway!

oexing

VOC Member
It can be a job to get that grub screw out for new sealing. You could try first to clean from outside with brake cleaner and air gun and apply some thin Loctite from outside. It might do the trick , no harm to be done if no success. So if no joy take out the screw , degrease as good as possible and apply some MILD Loctite , the teflon tape is a case of luck as it gets wiped off while turning in the screw. I prefer carefully selected Loctites - once again . . . .

Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
Excellent product, Cyberbond, thread sealant in a tube........Also anaerobic so it does set, but not quite as savage as some loctites........I use it all the time, best on fuel taps and everything else on old bikes.........It just happens to be a German product.........

Wad

Forum User
VOC Member
Take out the screw and fit a cap head Allen bolt, it will tighten against the case rather than needing to centre pop it. Use a thread seal. It worked for me. Make sure the thread is the same length as the original. If using a liquid thread seal wait for the threads to be clean and nice and dry from oil.