• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

G: Gearbox Oil leak

erik

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
The gearbox of my Twin is leaking on the sprocket side. I have fitted a new oilseal and the Surface of the sprocket is perfekt for the oilseal.Any ideas? Erik

craig

VOC Member
This is my understanding of Burman grease/oil level.
I am using Castrol 000 grease.

So you look in the fill port and if the grease is touching the bottom of the kick start quadrant, the level is okay.
Yes? No?
BurmanOilLevel4.jpg

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
The twin gearbox only really needs one litre of oil, the factory specs say 2 pints (1200 ml's) so fill with one litre, then add another 100ml's.......If the oil is just showing on the end of the dip stick with the bike upright on level ground, then that is enough. The leak is probably from between the output shaft bush and the input shaft, common leak if the box oil level is a tad high.......and/or if the output shaft bush is excessively worn.

Colin

VOC Member
Don't rely on your dipstick, they seem to come in a variety of lengths. As advised drain the box then fillup with the correct amount and see where it comes on YOUR dipstick. Then mark that.
In a previous post I had a leak problem finally traced to overfilling and a short dipstick.

There must be a reason why "Dipstick" is a derogatory expression!!

Latest Forum Threads

List of Forum Categories

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?