A: Oil Pipework Oil Leak or Not?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Visit Neville Higgins and he places a very shallow S/S tray just fitting between the wheels and about 2' wide, I was on the "A" and he gave me an extra Gallon of oil to get myself home as leaking so much from the front cam bush.
Great fun visiting friends & members on the route and giving my self-material to write up in MPH but it was very nice to receive an email from Bob Stafford congratulating me for doing it as it showed, he said that they are capable of such journies as he did it several times to Germany when stationed there.

NEVILLE & VERA
IMGA0727.jpeg

WHAT A DRIP TRAY !
IMGA0698.jpg

PARKED WAITING FOR THE OVERBOOKED FERRY AT HOOK OF HOLLAND AND I HAD THE HOSPITAL BED TO SLEEP IN. ARRIVING EARLY MORNING AT HARIDGE
IMGA0748.jpg

VISITED ANGELA & LEN MATHEWS FOR A CUP OF COFFEE THINKING I WAS TO FOLLOW THEM TO THE AGM BUT THEY WEREN'T GOING SO RODE ON IN POURING RAIN ATTENDED MEETING AND LEFT EARLY TO LEAVE BIKE WITH ROBIN BLACKWELL AS CATCHING FERRY AT PORTSMOUTH

IMGA0753.jpg

TO LE-HAVRE RETURNING GRANDCHILDREN TO CAMITA & NICK. HAVEING ANOTHER FRENCH MEAL AS I MISSED OUT ON THE AGM EVENING.
P1000367.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think as far as retaining oil goes designing vertically split crankcases is somewhat optimistic, not to mention all the other possibilities for oil loss, I think the Japanese latched onto this fairly quickly with the horizontally split crankcase Honda CB72-77 series. Take a look at the parking arrangements at most big Vincent rallies, Isle of Man 1999, Italy 95, Belgium 99, I felt real sympathy for the hotel owners. When attending the West Bay Rally we normally visit my brother in law in Burton Bradstock, although he doesn't actually know my exact time of arrival he is normally in place, ready to greet us on his driveway with various oil drip catching devices, and my bike is pretty good by comparison to others that I have seen.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The good old days in the IOM, When you could stay with anybody with a spare room,
And lean your Bike on there wall, Dear old Mrs Taylor !.
Not sure that's all my OIL !!.

Thanks to Howard for the photo.

Attachments

• scan0034.jpg
    scan0034.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 23

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Simon says, There is no such thing as a standard, Honda, Norton, "C" "D" or what ever it is :D ,
I only took that seat off my road l/ning a few months ago,
And fitted a standard "C" seat, Not sure I have done the right thing ?,
My tender BOT found the Honda one a Lot softer !, We shall see,

Funny I threw the Honda one away years ago and Ron picked it up and stored it,
I was looking for another seat some years ago and when I was down in Devon , He offered it back !!.
I had a "D" seat on it at the time.
never stop playing !!.