A: Oil Pipework Oil Leak or Not?

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’ve only owned my HRD C Rapide a few months and squeezed in one short test ride before the winter weather set in. I changed the engine oil and have not run it since but noticed a few weeks ago quite a few drops of oil appearing in the clean drip tray, this was not due to spilt oil! The breather exits directly beneath the engine and there is evidence of oil on or around the pipe and the underside of the engine casing. I have been turning the engine over recently but not starting it as I’ve drained the fuel for winter. I did this again a few days ago and low and behold there‘s not been a single drop of oil on the freshly cleaned drip tray since. Is this normal behaviour for a twin?

Cyborg

VOC Member
No..... normally the tray would be overflowing.

Probably just a small amount of residual oil that took time to collect and form droplets. What you experienced there doesn’t seem unusual to me. The engine might sump while sitting.... oil slowly drains from the tank into the crankcase, but I don’t think just kicking it over would cause it to head out the breather. The more oil there is in the sump, the more likely it will find a way out though.

nigsey

VOC Member

Probably just a small amount of residual oil that took time to collect and form droplets. What you experienced there doesn’t seem unusual to me.
That’s reassuring, thank you.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member

Probably just a small amount of residual oil that took time to collect and form droplets. What you experienced there doesn’t seem unusual to me. The engine might sump while sitting.... oil slowly drains from the tank into the crankcase, but I don’t think just kicking it over would cause it to head out the breather. The more oil there is in the sump, the more likely it will find a way out though.
Very Funny !.

If you have a breather pipe facing down, You will get something out of it ?.
Even a bit of mist will cling to the side and then drip a bit,
The "C" was not a good idea,
I think you should have the pipe going up for as long as possible so any oil could run back ?.
Just my thoughts.

It might wet sump over the winter, A lot of us have that problem,
What happens is you look in the oil tank, In the Spring Time, And see it needs oil !!,
So you top the oil up and start the bike, Then the extra oil in the sump is pumped back in the oil tank and it overflows !! All over the Engine, We have all done it at some time ??.
It is a dry sump engine but you will always have a bit in there,
There is a drain plug that you can get to via a hole in the front footrest plate,
Below the Chain case.
The thing is if your oil is just above the bar you can see through the oil cap now !!,
And you remember, If it's below that next Spring , It has wet sumped , Sorry I have gone on TOO much.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, Going a little crackers myself, I lost May and June of last year with what I now think was Covid,
A very strange illness, I didn't go to the doctors or Hospital, Don't like those places,
Full Of sick people !!.
Fingers crossed for this year, Cheers Bill.

nigsey

VOC Member
Very Funny !.

If you have a breather pipe facing down, You will get something out of it ?.
Even a bit of mist will cling to the side and then drip a bit,
The "C" was not a good idea,
I think you should have the pipe going up for as long as possible so any oil could run back ?.
Just my thoughts.

It might wet sump over the winter, A lot of us have that problem,
What happens is you look in the oil tank, In the Spring Time, And see it needs oil !!,
So you top the oil up and start the bike, Then the extra oil in the sump is pumped back in the oil tank and it overflows !! All over the Engine, We have all done it at some time ??.
It is a dry sump engine but you will always have a bit in there,
There is a drain plug that you can get to via a hole in the front footrest plate,
Below the Chain case.
The thing is if your oil is just above the bar you can see through the oil cap now !!,
And you remember, If it's below that next Spring , It has wet sumped , Sorry I have gone on TOO much.
Good Luck.
N, you can’t go into too much detail for me. When I bought my Vincent a few months ago I knew absolutely nothing about them albeit I have had many bikes over the years but mainly competition, speedway, trials, grasstrack and a H*nda CBR road bike. I’m learning fast with the Vincent with everyone’s help and a few books. I don’t mind asking the questions if you don’t mind answering them.

vibrac

VOC Member
I put a new barrel piston and head on the electric foot Comet earlier in the Autumn but I havent filled the UFM with oil yet (and I had drained the sump at the start) It still manages to drop some oil on the floor as it waits like me for a couple of jabs (me on the arm Comet on the starter button ) I would be worried if the floor was dry!