Oil Leak onto back wheel

Andrewcreedon

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am seeing a small amount of oil appearing on the back wheel and tyre after about 10 miles of riding. Looks like it is coming off the chain where there must be some oil leaking from somewhere else? (1949 Rapide)

I suspect its a seal thats leaking. Can someone advise which one they think has failed and how to replace. Thnaks

Andrewcreedon

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies guys. The oil is fairly dark which would lead me to think its engine oil but as its mixed with muck and chain lube its difficult to tell. Also theres not much so wouldnAs I am new to this, I will look to see firstly where the chain oiler is and secondly if there is oil coming out. Thanks again

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Check the plate that carries the main shaft & layshaft behind the clutch..on mine several bolts had backed out..causing the primary to fill up to overflowing as the gearbox oli drained into it..

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Best to nail down what the oil is then we at least know where it's coming from. Once the source is determined ya gotta go and find out why.

Andrewcreedon

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks - I dont seem to have a chain oiler - must have been removed & sealed? (was there one on the 1949 Rapide?). All I can see is that there is a fair amount of oil around where the chain is driven from the gearbox but difficult to see as its all black. I am going to clean it all up and see if I can be more specific. NB I am VOC member

ossie

VOC Member
have alook at where the valve lifter cable goes in they usually seep a bit round there.
dont overfill the oil tank it will overflow and cover a lot more than the back wheel.
yes i have done it.