• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Oil Leak onto back wheel

Andrewcreedon

New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
I am seeing a small amount of oil appearing on the back wheel and tyre after about 10 miles of riding. Looks like it is coming off the chain where there must be some oil leaking from somewhere else? (1949 Rapide)

I suspect its a seal thats leaking. Can someone advise which one they think has failed and how to replace. Thnaks

Andrewcreedon

New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies guys. The oil is fairly dark which would lead me to think its engine oil but as its mixed with muck and chain lube its difficult to tell. Also theres not much so wouldnAs I am new to this, I will look to see firstly where the chain oiler is and secondly if there is oil coming out. Thanks again

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Check the plate that carries the main shaft & layshaft behind the clutch..on mine several bolts had backed out..causing the primary to fill up to overflowing as the gearbox oli drained into it..

Andrewcreedon

New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks - I dont seem to have a chain oiler - must have been removed & sealed? (was there one on the 1949 Rapide?). All I can see is that there is a fair amount of oil around where the chain is driven from the gearbox but difficult to see as its all black. I am going to clean it all up and see if I can be more specific. NB I am VOC member

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
have alook at where the valve lifter cable goes in they usually seep a bit round there.
dont overfill the oil tank it will overflow and cover a lot more than the back wheel.
yes i have done it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.