Oil leak cylinder head Comet

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all confined,
There is an oil leak between E28/1 and the cylinder head. I note that there is a fiber washer when there is none on the back one and that it does not appear on diagram 16 (The Alternative Spare List). After removing E88/2, is it possible to disassembled E28/1 for verification and reinstall it safely and without having to disassemble the entire cylinder head. Have you ever had this kind of leak and how to fix it ?
Greeting from Belgium.

Attachments

• IMG_HRD1.JPG
    IMG_HRD1.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_HRD2.JPG
    IMG_HRD2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 56

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hi Michel,
I am off to my father's house today, but some quick advice before I go - on your 'A' Comet leak:

1. Remove feed pipe (E88/2).
2. Remove alloy rocker cover so you can see what is happening inside.
3. Make sure there is at least some slack at the tappets (valve fully closed) so rocker is not under bending strain.
4. Remove E28/1 Rocker Pivot Pin.
5. Then put it back without the fibre washer to make sure it goes fully home without leaving a gap where the washer was. (This way you know that the washer is being compressed when fitted).
6. Remove Pivot Pin again, fit new washer and favourite gasket cement.
7. Refit parts again.

Hope this helps,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Stanley Chappell

VOC Member
I can't find any reference to fibre washers on cylinder heads the book says smear with gasket cement Common sense would suggest fibre washers would be to the advantage of keeping Oil in whilst I'm on can anybody confirm there is a washer behind the large bronze idler part number E 66 iI am at this moment in time putting a comet engine together my first one so any help appreciated

Dinny

VOC Member
There is no fibre washer behind the rocker spindle shaft head, I smeared mine with some sealant and ensured it tightened up to the head flush. I don't think a fibre washer is a good idea there, you need to get the head to bottom and use as much of the threads as possible.

As for the large idea washer, it depends on how much end float you have once the oil pump is fitted. Mine had virtually none and so no washer/ shim was required.

Thanks
Mark

Stanley Chappell

VOC Member
Going back to my previous thread I knew I read somewhere about the rocker feed bolts if you look in back to A page 264 clearly gives the reason for omitting any fibre whashers any comments gratefully received

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes, I'm fairly certain that fibre washers were never used by the factory in this location.

However, the fact that so many people do use them indicates that it is an area which is quite difficult to seal for some. Not surprising really with the mild steel bush that is located at the subject face - and the worn sealing faces from years of abuse. I just went out and looked at the sample that I have from my bronze head and the fibre washer that must have been fitted to the pin at least 40 years ago. The washer is hard and still very flat so hasn't attempted to enter the hole with the mild-steel bush in it.

Owners have a choice - but be cautious.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

P.S. Dear Mr Moderator(s), can we have these 3 recent and similar threads on Series A Cyl Hd oil leaks amalgamated in to one, please?

Michel

VOC Member
Hello everyone,
At first, I just disassembled E88/2 and E70 to have a clear access to E28/1 and I discovered that the part was loose. I tightened by leaving in place the seal inserted by our late lamented Patrick (Godet). I went back up and there was no more oil leak at this location revealing a second less significant leak between E24 and the cylinder head. Again, I tightened the two E97 and it should be fine. I think it's normal because the bike is still being run in after its complete renovation, wait and see.
Thanks for your advices.
Michel.