OIL Indexing

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I never tried the Kemp idea, sounds like a solution. I never put a needle bearing in the little end so I couldn't comment on its worth. I drilled two holes inside the H beam of the rod to get splash to the pressure side of the bush. On the big end I would grind on the side of the rods small groves to direct the oil coming off the big end to the little end and piston crown. Cneers---- Max

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, Love the smell !! But never used it, I tell a Lie, When I was very young I put a little in the petrol tank, Just to make it smell nice ! Lots of Fun, Bill

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
A lot of years ago I was at a auto trade show and there was a booth set up advertising there oil. The salesman had a screwdriver that he dipped in his oil that was demonstrating as to its slipping qualities. He would challenge the audience to pick up the screwdriver with there fingers at the oiled end, granted the screwdriver was unusually heavy to insure the outcome. Guess what the oil was RRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
A friend of mine once had an AMC/BSA/Ducati Dealership in a little town near here and the Valvoline (I think?) Rep. walked in one day with a portable Timkin Machine to show off their new racing oil. On a shelf, covered in dust and a cobweb or two, Jack had one of those gallon cans of "Aero" re-refined cheapo, crap oil that He'd dumped used Bean Oil in to settle, so he could reuse it for His AMA Class C Racers. Well, the Rep challenged any oil to outlast the stuff he was flogging and was soon walking out the door mumbling to himself!
Cheers, John

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Three or four years ago I noticed a car at Bonneville that was heavily sponsored by Valvoline, there was a case of oil that I observed that all the screw on caps had there seal broken, after a little detective work I discovered that the car really was running BRAD PENN, they would use the sponsored oil in there lawn mowers but when it came to the race car, well--------!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
While we're talking oil, last year I lost the babbit on my Morgan trike's rods from oil failure. I'd earlier seized my A Comet's piston using the same oil, but didn't make the connection until I read this. Like these "Oil Testers" I too was truly astounded at the results of the oil I'd used. Maybe someone in Australia can add to this. I wonder if regular oil also tested and listed elsewhere?
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf
Cheers, John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Shame they did not test a single type oil, I use coarse 30 and 40, Dear old Don Alexander had an oil man go to his house for tests, and said the new type oils are no good for Vin's. Cheers Bill.