Oil hoses ferrules - Comet 1938

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
I have to replace the 3/8 "hoses of the oil circuit but I am struggling to find the ferrule crimping tool, here on the continent. An inexpensive tool is enough for this occasional use. Can you advise me an online supplier ?
Have a nice week-end.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am not convinced that the ferrules were crimped. My rule for oil lines is
Post war bikes, fancy hose, plain ferrules
Pre war bikes plain hose, fancy ferrules.

On my A's I made all new SS ferrules and made the ID's just the size I wanted for the hose. I might also add that on pretty much all my oil hoses I lock wire the hose (two turns and a good twist with the end cut very short and bent over inline with the hose) and then push the ferrule over the whole plot. I know it's a bit of a Pain in the arse BUT there are enough bloody places to leak oil on a prewar Vincent!
IMG_3822.jpg

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Would this UK seller and item work for you?
It is an MCA (Aston) Ltd tool number TL163.
I got one here a couple of years ago.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I've seen good evidence that bikes built in late 1952 had crimped ferrules.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
My 1948 Rapide has crimped ferrules on the oil lines, which I think are original. The fuel lines have been replaced with clear plastic lines (now rock hard and about to be replaced) and have no ferrules.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The pre war bikes with the brass ferrules, Neal Videan has them. No they were not crimped, if you use the correct hose and go about installing them the right way, they give no trouble and no leaks. The knurl finish was very fine straight cuts, not cross cuts, solid brass, cadmium plated.

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
Thanks for the info Greg, whilst we are on the subject, can you confirm the size (I.D) of the oil pipes to/from the pre war Comet pump (& plated scavenge pipe).

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok so the main feed and return pipes from the tank to the engine and back are 3/8" the smaller feed line from the aft outer port on the oil pump that feeds oil to the rear cylinder feed is 5/16" as is the solid scavenge line from the crankcase to the inner forward port of the oil pump. These 5 /16 fittings can have an OD of about 0.315 to 0.320 in diameter depending on plating as well. The small feed lines from the cam box to the cylinder rocker feeds are 3/16" I made these from some brass tube and had them cad plated, you could also use some plated brake pipe as well.......if you go to a brake relining shop that make up their own rigid and flexible brake lines, they have really nice 3/16 pipe bending pliers that can give you that nice tight right angle bend you need where the pipes turn into the rocker feeds........You wont get as nice a bend otherwise, the lower bend mid way down the pipe is easy........I bought the small end fittings off ebay, these are for the scale steam locomotive supplies with all the small stuff they use, I then silver soldered them onto the upper ends.......came out a lovely job and looks excellent.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Eek! Michel, if you are going to crimp/destroy your beautiful original Series A machined brass oil ferrules, then please sell them to me and buy yourself some cheap Series B/C ones!

Peter B
Bristol, UK