ET: Engine (Twin) Oil Filter Screw Cap

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I worry about you chaps. Do you tighten your tappet inspection caps so tight that you cannot get them undone? The oil filter cap has the same spanner, K1, and really should not need more tightening. Eating too much meat, or wearing lederhosen could be the cause of all this testosterone fuelled energy.

Albervin

VOC Member
On my part it is all about space. I can undo the cap easily with the socket but no room for a K1. How did Phil and Phil think about this? Inspection caps are a light "snick" with one finger but the oil cap is two fingers.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Norman, I doubt very much that Hugo is an overtightener, I think that particular threaded component is more susceptible to a reluctance to unscrew due to the taper fit and the joint sealant used, Hugo had used Red Hermatite as he had done so for years, I prefer a light smear of Wellseal on the taper and a few threads also, never had one jam yet and always use a K1 spanner as I do not suffer from the generous crankcase casting problem. The valve caps are a completely different method of sealing as you know, very little tightening torque required and normally very easy to undo.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Is a compound actually necessary on the filter cap? I don't use anything and have no leaks.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I guess you could be fortunate, the contact faces are around 70 years old and have had plenty of opportunity for slight damage and surface imperfections, I do prefer to use a smear of Wellseal sealant, sort of lubricates the mating surface and the thread.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
I guess you could be fortunate, the contact faces are around 70 years old and have had plenty of opportunity for slight damage and surface imperfections, I do prefer to use a smear of Wellseal sealant, sort of lubricates the mating surface and the thread.
Yes, nothing wrong with Wellseal, non setting, as you know and if there is damage to the faces it's good insurance. Considering the oil pressure is negligible, I would have thought the chance of leakage past threads and mating surface is very unlikely and would only use a sealant if there was actually a sign of leakage in use and only if leakage was actually annoying. After all, the filter is hidden behind the cowl. After many years of maintaining plant against schedules, it was obvious that more damage was caused by maintenance work than occurred in service!