ET: Engine (Twin) Oil Filter Screw Cap

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there Bill, yes i know what you mean, I'm just trying to help with an engine rebuild of a 1200 Vincent road racing outfit, and the owner is really struggling to come to grips with the costs, given his background is on Triumphs..........I can see myself walking away from the job.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Not yet Len. Frankly the garage is too cold at the moment for these old bones.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will keep all posted as to the outcome.
Hugo
How about applying some heat with a blow torch but be careful not to burn the plug leads!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
EUREKA! We have it!

My salvation came this morning in the shape of Peter Holmes bearing a selection of K1s and a hefty lump hammer. My apologies to Roy. We tried all the K1s including mine except for one. None would fit the hexagon due to excess of crankcase casting. The final K1 had had the periphery relieved in a most artistic manner - a thing of great elegance, if not strength. It fitted but simply distorted on the first tap of the hammer. Back to the box spanner. Utilising a 15inch tommybar (a Series D footrest hanger bolt now defunct due to a sudden lack of trueness) with me holding the box spanner in place whilst Peter applied foot pressure on the end of the bar and suddenly Hey Presto the cap moved. Hurray! No - the threads were not crossed but I have misled you all and myself. It was not Blue Hylomar. It was old fashioned Red Hermatite. I can only imagine that I used up the last of it on the filter cap and told myself that next time I would have to use the Hylomar.

Many thanks to everyone for your advice and consideration. Many thanks, Peter. I am greatly relieved having been imagining all manner of ghastly scenarios.

Long live the club and the forum!

Hugo

Albervin

VOC Member
Same thing happened when I used a K1 that had been relieved. Destroyed itself. I now use a 1 11/16" socket.

vibrac

VOC Member
Relived mine works ok excessive force is not required when doing up
I won't modify my Canadian k1 with the corkscrew addition though