ET: Engine (Twin) Oil Filter Screw Cap

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think you might have inadvertently created your problem with the tools that you are using, that little K1 spanner in the toolkit probably exerts just about the right amount of tightening torque with just a couple of light taps with a hammer when tight, requirering just a couple of slightly firmer taps to undo it at a later date, I recon that box spanner and tommy bars are exerting more force than necessary.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that the K1 is the right tool. It is small enough to be kept in line with the oil filter cap and can only exert a rotational force. A long box spanner with a tommy bar through it will have a tendency to twist to one side or another. A socket would be better but unless the wheel and possible the forks are out of the way the long handle on a big socket is likely to foul something else. We are all on tenterhooks Hugo.:cool:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I think that the K1 is the right tool. It is small enough to be kept in line with the oil filter cap and can only exert a rotational force. A long box spanner with a tommy bar through it will have a tendency to twist to one side or another. A socket would be better but unless the wheel and possible the forks are out of the way the long handle on a big socket is likely to foul something else. We are all on tenterhooks Hugo.:cool:
indeed it is like this yes.
Good K 1 spanner, maybe from Neal Videan as this is hardend and better to grind off to make fit.
I have had it the other day.
but I use now the teflon tape.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Battery impact driver with a big socket. I use it for all the big nuts. It is difficult to get a good swing on the K1 without bashing something.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Remember these bikes were designed like all others of the period to be "Fixed at the side of the road" Be careful what sealants and loctites you use..........Very little is usually enough, too much can be a disaster.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Own up, Who of us have NOT had a BAD day ?, Just had a read up on what these Statin Pills can do to us,
That answers a few questions, Good Health, Bill.