ET: Engine (Twin) Oil Filter Screw Cap

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Help! After 52 years of changing the oilfilter regularly once a year on my C Rapide this year I am unable to undo the cap. For all those years except last year I used Red Hermatite. Unable to get Hermatite last year I used NON- SETTING Hylomar instead. I am very frightened of using excess force because of the fineness of the thread in the alloy filter housing. Advice and suggestions please.

Hugo

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Hugo, Assuming that it was put in without crossing the threads so that all is mechanically as it should be then this is what I would do. Use the correct Vincent spanner, K1, which is a steel ring spanner, make sure it is on fully and then tap the outer end of the spanner with a 3 lb club hammer. It will move.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I had a similar episode a while ago, the k 1 spanner was binding on the c case(as if it was too large on the o-d). Ground a bit off, all sweet. A sharp knock as per T T says will shock the tapered part off.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I had a similar episode a while ago, the k 1 spanner was binding on the c case(as if it was too large on the o-d). Ground a bit off, all sweet. A sharp knock as per T T says will shock the tapered part off.
Thanks Roy but the K1 is not the problem. I have always used a large box spanner with a tommy bar. This time the tommy bar bent.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Hugo, Assuming that it was put in without crossing the threads so that all is mechanically as it should be then this is what I would do. Use the correct Vincent spanner, K1, which is a steel ring spanner, make sure it is on fully and then tap the outer end of the spanner with a 3 lb club hammer. It will move.

Thanks TT. I am as certain as I can be that the threads were not crossed. I have always been very careful of the threads on the Vincent having fitted countless exhaust pipes over the years. I will try what you suggest if it is possible to hold a hammer with fingers crossed.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I would not worry too much about the threads, they were quite generous with the threads in the oil filter housing, far more so than with rocker caps, I think you can sleep easy that you did not cross thread it when you last fitted the cap, you have been around Vincent’s far to long to do that, plus you would have known anyway, get that K1 spanner out, and a heavy hammer as Norman says, sounds like it needs shock not force, good luck. Peter

greg brillus

VOC Member
The best solution is a large 3/4 drive socket and matching breaker bar, not sure the exact size, but there is one in either imperial or metric that is close enough. You should never use any sealant on the threads only a tiny smear on the small taper face that is the sealing face. Even the smallest of dents or imperfections on that surface can cause a leak, a light trim in the lathe fixes that. Had one just the other day on a 600 Comet engine that had some 318 loctite used on the threads, very tight to undo. Need to be careful what sealants you choose when carrying out some jobs, you may pay for it later when you need to remove again.

Albervin

VOC Member
I cannot use the Vincent K1 as there is too much metal on the cases. I used to us a 1" Whitworth box spanner but now a 1 11/16 socket with 3/4" drive makes the job easy. a Greg says, just a light smear on the face is all you need.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Thanks TT. I am as certain as I can be that the threads were not crossed. I have always been very careful of the threads on the Vincent having fitted countless exhaust pipes over the years. I will try what you suggest if it is possible to hold a hammer with fingers crossed.
Did you finally get it uscrewed Hugo?