A: Oil Pipework Oil Drain Plug

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just tried to install one of the new style A22 SS drain plug/banjos on my C Comet but it fouls the R/H FT23/2 engine plate. Is this normal because I can't see it going in without removing metal from the engine plate? Anyone had the same problem or is just me???

vibrac

VOC Member
I have just seen a new plug in a new side plate FT23/2 on a new crankcase plenty of space. My guess as its an easy made item some back yard merchant cut those side plates back in the 'lean years'

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
We have heard of this once before on Comets, it seems there is a variation in the location of the oil feed entry point to the pump and the righthand stand plate.

You’d think this area would be the same as on the Twin.

I'll do some checking and get back to you.

Ian

bodlan

VOC Member
Sorted it. Had to machine 0.05" off the diameter of the extension and also filed the tips off the hexagon of the 1/4 screw. Obviously, as you suggest a variation in the position of the port and maybe the thickness of the plate. Not much but made it impossible to align the thread and screw in.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Today I have exactly the same problem as @bodlan my Comet is a 1954; the mod needs some refinement to allow this very practical drain plug to fit on a Comet.
Will I get into any trouble by removing the three bolts that hold the engine plate to the crank cases before reshaping and angle grinding 3/8 inch off the plate.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
in my opinion that's a YES

I have had engine plates off several times with no issues. Those are pretty rigid lumps of metal and undoing a few bolts and then tightening them up again is not going to disturb any sealant you have between the cases. And it's not like you would be driving down the road like that.

Chris.R

VOC Member
in my opinion that's a YES

I have had engine plates off several times with no issues. Those are pretty rigid lumps of metal and undoing a few bolts and then tightening them up again is not going to disturb any sealant you have between the cases. And it's not like you would be driving down the road like that.
Ok I think that is what I will do then and reshape the plate nicely: It is good to hear from our Canadian cousins, My GGfather died at Rainy river 1908 while on a land grant scheme from Kent in the UK.